Michael Caine's GET CARTER

Jerry

My grandson and I watched the 1971 film noir with plenty of scenes in and around Newcastle. Lots of Sunbeams, and Mini-Coopers, ferry boats and a river, girls in mini-dresses, Britt Ecklund with a cameo, 1971 music, but at the end there is a sort of ski lift hauling large buckets of something up to the river (or sea) and dumping it right at the bottom of a turn around. Seems like those cinders, or rocks, or whatever would soon overwhelm the ski lift, unless, oh, that must be it, there must be a steep cliff under water there so the stuff would slide many fathoms deep and away.

We don't want to haul coals to Newcastle do we?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2008/05/21/get_carter_film_feature.shtml

That final scene was filmed at Dawdon Beach in County Durham.

i39062161_22665_4.jpg

The aerial conveyor was for dumping waste from the nearby coalmine into the sea where the tides running across the beach would wash it along the shoreline - leading to a completely black beach.

The same beach was also used in one of the Alien films.

Michael Caine indeed. It was a time capsule on a DVD. There is a rumor here that Sylvester Stallone had a film called Get Carter, but I wouldn't think it would be filmed in Newcastle.

Thanks for the 'tide will carry the debris out' -- looked to me like it would build up if not for such topography.