Hospital waiting times?

observer

.... there are target times from GP referal to Consultant chat etc but I'm pretty sure there is nothing similar for sitting in a waiting room :wink:

There used to be a board up for each consultant telling you if there is a delay on the day though.

Would imagine it's hard to keep to exact times as all cases are different and some may require a bit longer with a consultant.

well how long is a piece of string....i have worked on those clinics many years ago,and can tell you its equally frustrating for the staff...as the doctors who run it are frequently called away to the wards A&E theatre outside distractions etc.....when i worked there we would see up to 200 people per day on the orthopeadic clinic alone...it wasnt always straight forward either...people getting booked in to theatre sometimes the doctors had to contact peope outside the hospital,especially if the wanted urgent chemo or whatever..they are very busy...they wouldnt have coffee breaks or lunches half the time,we would make them coffee whilst they worked as soon as the clinic finished they may have to head off to see patients on the ward go to theatre..very long days they worked let me tell you..the public dont realise what the staff on the other side actually do half the time.... :roll: my advice is take a good book dont make qany plans and you will be seen and if its your relative whos sick you'd be glad they were doing what they do for them.....brings me back to a patient i once heard complaining in the coronary care unit over here having a go at the doctor for delaying him by 2 hours,he felt hungry etc....they had made him wait and taken my husband in his place as he had a complete blockage and was having a heart attack...if only they knew like if only half of you knew whats happening while your whinging about yourselves having to wait......its shameful :x

Straight forward organisational issue Rock: they know their average service demands per day, so all they have to do is PLAN their time and routine to meet such contigencies - this would probably mean they would see less patients per day, thus increasing the overall waiting times, which would embarrass the Government (again!). :roll: Conversely, they could increase the number of staff in order to cope with service demands - alas this would cost more money. :roll: As for the consultants, in general I don't think it crosses their minds that folk are queuing to see them, even though they were given a specific appointment time. :x

observer[the lights are on but nobodys home we'll say]in the medical industry you cant run a buisness like you usually would as you never really are aware whats going to happen next...what seems like atrivial thing turns out to be big,people are ill and at the end of the day everybody wants good treatment its not all about how many are booked in at a certain time. you have so not worked within the medical profession but it would do you ngood to then you would understand they system better..... :x