2003 film DANNY DECKCHAIR

Jerry

What a terrific, sweet, funny, romantic comedy from Australia. I'd say it's near perfect from whatever standpoint you wish to analyze. From the comments on IMDB I'm deducing that Rhys is a Welsh name. There was John Rhys-Davies and that young actor who was the girls coach in Beckham, Elvis, and Henry VIII, and in this film the two male leads are named Rhys. And Ifens would fit right in there. I took him for an Aussie all through the film, didn't know the details. Australia looked beautiful throughout.

• 4 weeks later...

I missed the opening scenes when Danny was on cable. Now I have the DVD and got to see the phenomenon of a man in a web & aluminum patio chair floating over one of the major Aussie cities - one with a restaurant observation deck. It set the tone for the improbable romantic adventure. I wonder if there really is a Clarence in Northern Australia, with Macadamia groves. I'll go research now.

having read of several people who have tried this stunt i have to wonder if it life imitating art or art imitating life.

as for clarence of northern australia it sounds like it should be a comedy film parodying lawrence of arabia 8)

it sounds like the sort of film mrs sid would enjoy must look out for it when i go to HMV later on.

The Duke of Clarence seems to be popular in Australia -- a park, a river, and more place names. Seems to be a town in New South Wales -- but I can't tell if that is north of the Brisbane, Sydney area. The movie version is an idyllic place -- my grandson, inspired by our recent 'Balloon Boy' news watched the DVD with me and was stunned that the people were so friendly to a newcomer out of the sky. He asked me 'how realistic is this?' They let their children play with him!

I grew up in an Illinois town of 9,400 founded by Brit immigrants and could relate to it. Grandson is a gritty urban boy.