In the Mire

Jerry

As a child I saw movies that often featured QUICKSAND. It seems it is mostly i swamps but you could run into it anywhere, and should you walk into it, you are DEAD. You can't get out of it. It sucks you down, down, down and no one ever sees or hears from you again.

OK, as an adult it doesn't seem to be a problem. But tonight I watched Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. And there it was again, only the Brits call it MIRE. And a very attractive young actress falls into it at the end, and Holmes, Watson and others are too far away to be of any assistance.

So what? Well, for hours now I've been trying to remember a popular song with the word MIRE in it. 'Don't leave me in the mire, or something like that?' I was going to ask you folks to help me remember, but just as I typed Warrington -- aha -- it was Light My Fire, by the Doors or Jim Morrison, eh?

i be hearing that song all day now and thinking "please light my mire" :lol::lol::lol:

one thing i notice about quicksand in the movies,it always seemed to appear in the middle of a well trodden path and was just wide enough to fit one average size hero/villain into (about four feet across and usually in a nice neat circle) also if it was the villain or expendable extra then people would stand around with looks of horror in their faces watching as they sank deeper and deeper in to finally dissappear with the obligatory hand sinking slowly down accompanied by gurgling and a final blup of a bubble.

if it was the hero then a suitable vine would be found and no effort spared to extricate them from a grisly fate.

I could be mistaken but I think even Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller) got into the stuff and Cheeta got him the vine and an elephant pulled him out. But in the moors, Cecile sinks like a rock and we are spared the agony of seeing her agony. Maybe she didn't want to get the stuff in her hair.