Disaster averted?

Eagle

some more Shanklyisms;

1 "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly

2 "If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

3 "The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

4 "A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." Bill Shankly

5 "If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

You cannot compare Heysel with Hillsborough. Completely different situations. Hillsborough was caused by a combination of the anti-hooligan barriers, too many twits turning up without tickets and the police letting the gates open. Funny, the 1988 FA Cup Semi-Final in exactly the same place and involving exactly the same teams had no such problem. Those who died were the sensible ones who had tickets and got there early, and so were unlucky enough to be right at the anti-hooligan barrier. Hillsborough by the way was not a Victorian relic, but was one of the best stadia built in that form in the late 1960s/ early 1970s. I have a piece of footage from 1971 showing an architect discuss, at Hillsborough, the second Ibrox Disaster, the 1971 one, when he said that even at a new, state of the art, modern stadium like Hillsborough, there could not be ruled out the possibility of eruptions or disruptions causing the kind of collapse which occurred recently at Ibrox. Eerily and disturbingly prophetic. The fact is, if a combination of circumstances are all wrong, then anywhere can be dangerous, no matter how well designed a place can be in terms of safety. I must say though, the Leppings Lane end of the ground was rather compact for some reason, unlike the other end. It exposed the fatal flaw in the old school of football stadia with terraces, even the relatively new 1960s designs. No matter what sentiment was attached to terraces like the Kop and Arsenal's North Bak or United's Stretford End, terraces had to go. Or did they??? After all, before the 1989 FA Cup Semi-Final, nothing had gone wrong with the Kop, the North Bank, the Stretford End, or, come to think of it, the Leppings Lane End.

[ 26.05.2007, 17:44: Message edited by: Goonerman ]

Having stod on all the major terraces (including the leppings lane end in 89), it was victorian relic. The other big terraces (kop, Notrth bank etc) all had space to move around on and crushes dissapated. Leppings lane didnt. You were penned in from 4 sides.

Tickets were issued for the 4 pens. However once through the appropriate turnstile it was all open, so anyone coudl go anywhere. With a tunnel leading to the goal, nature took its course and most went there. Then when they let teh gate sopen without any control...