Fun with D ick and Jane

sadako

Originally posted by andyk:

Munich would be cool :D

And Donnie Darko was original and a great film, I think its originality lies in the fact that the story and sequence of events in the film are open a lot to interpretation and its a film that makes you think. But even something like Donnie Darko takes an idea that has been done plenty of times before (time travel) and shows it in a new interesting light. Maybe thats the best you can hope to get from a film nowadays!!!!!

Don't actually think it was about time travel Andy and that's what makes it a great,original film.Each person who sees it thinks it's about something else

Originally posted by sadako:

The story may be original but the ideas and themes within it will be taken from somewhere else. Every writer and director has inspiration that they have gotten elsewhere.

All directors are directors because they are inspired to be so.I'm a bit of a movie buff and certainly wouldn't put Donnie Darko in the derivative column.The only movie that touches similar themes in my view is Spotless Mind, but that was made afer Darko.

Originally posted by willywonka:

Not had the time to keep up with this kinda stuff for yonks, but from what I've heard/read it does seem to bear some similarities to Harvey.

Whiterabbit

Good point, I'd forgotten about Harvey and Harvey is mentioned in a couple of the Donnie Darko reviews.Although other than the big rabbit as an 'invisible pal' I'm not too sure about the similarities, although the giant rabbit is a bit hard to miss :wink::wink::wink: