The Shadow of the Wind

Originally posted by willywonka:

Welcome back oh iconoclastic one, where you been man?

Pretty good book then eh?

Ive been busy with my coursework. My head is still awash with virtual reality and networking.

Mary, the book doesnt really have a genre as such, its more of a mixture. Here's a link to a synopsis and a few mini reviews. Click me

Its definately worth reading though.

• 2 months later...

Just finished this book, what a FANTASTIC read. raved about it so much that there is now a waiting list for it at my local library. :) Its a story about a young boy growing up in Barcelona after the civil war, the mystery surrounding a book he finds in a cemetary for forgotten books and the consequences of trying to solve the mystery and the effect on the people around him, atmospheric, sometimes brutally graphic, but unputdownable. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good read.

The shadow of the wind

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax.

But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

? "A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose."

[ 23.05.2006, 18:06: Message edited by: TLC ]