There Is Nothing Like a Dame

Jerry

Thoughts after my 74th birthday Bucket List. Ahhh... wish I could have met Dame Diana Rigg.

One of my favorite songs from my youth is the manly chorus in the stage musical South Pacific. A bunch of sailors on an island sing:

?We've got sunlight on the sand?we've got moonlight on the sea?we've got mangoes and bananas we can pick right off the tree?we've got volleyball and ping-pong and a lot of dandy games. What ain't we got? We ain't got dames!

We get packages from home?we get movies?we get shows?we get speeches from our skipper and advice from Tokyo Rose?we get letters doused with perfume?we get dizzy from the smell. What ain't we got? You know damn well!

We've got nothing to put on a clean white suit for. What we need is what there ain't no substi--tute for.

There is nothing like a dame. Nothing in the world. There is nothing you can name that is anything like a dame.

We feel restless..we feel blue?we feel lonely and in brief?we feel every kind of feeling but the feeling of relief. We feel hungry as the wolf felt when he met Red Riding Hood. What don't we feel? We don't feel good.

Lots of things in life are beautiful but, brother, there is one particular thing that is in no way, shape, or form like any --other. There is nothing like a dame. Nothing in the world. There is nothing you can name that is anything like a dame.

There are no drinks like a dame?and nothing thinks like a dame?there are no books like a dame?and nothing looks like a dame?and nothing acts like a dame?or attracts like a dame. There ain't a thing that's wrong with any man here that can't be cured by putting him near a girly female womanly feminine DAME !!!!

Very true, but in the case of Diana Rigg -- she was a dame a sailor could dream about before her merits were officially recognized.

It was excruciating to see her as a nun in The Seventh Veil, although, come to think of it, she was a nun in Abelard and Heloise in her hey day on the stage.

Eg, now that you've compelled me to think about it, I'm willing to wager that the American poets deliberately reached into British culture for a word with connotations of respect and admiration. There is a plethora of vulgar words that refer to feminine companionship, but they chose the honorific title of Dame consciously or unconsciously.