Ethical merry go round -

Seems MPs have spent two days arguing over whether to reduce the abortion limit by 2 weeks (14 days!); because modern medical technology can allow the survival of premature babies (not necessarilly without physical defects btw). Thankfully, the status quo asserted itself, so perhaps we won't have an epidemic of new-borns finishing up in freezers. :wink: Then with all the hand wringing over the state of a generation of youngsters lacking "father figures" as role models, we're now going to appease the "I want" lobby, by allowing IVF (presumably paid for by tax-payers), to be made available to lesbian couples. :roll: And finally, we have the "saviour siblings"; errm yes "Jonny we only had you to save sister Janet, but we did really want you for yourself - honest"! :wink: All this when we have kids shooting each other in the streets, over a million folk suddenly requiring social housing, with probably more repassessions to follow; an NHS struggling to survive; local Councils groaning under the weight of an immigration surge with no Government help etc etc. :roll: Still, one can't expect Biar's Babes to adopt pragmatic priorities - just not in their DNA! :wink:

That's an interesting take on the abortion issue from Goonerman. My take is that it should not be an issue at all. It should be a private affair between a woman and her doctor. No government or church should interfere with such a very personal decision.

And what pray, did the 'religious' MPs in opposing abortion do to deserve the rolling eyes?

Seem like a rational bunch to me.

Oh wait. Their churches and they shouldn't be allowed to have any say in ethics.

Waiting on a new Secularist Test Act to be proposed for only Atheists and Agnostics to have rights in society.

Don't give them ideas.

Slight problem. As you yourself have complained about deviant practices like IVF for lesbians and gays ( I note with amusement that you think it's OK to complain about those things though you complain about people in my side of the fence doing so, double standards, tsk tsk), wouldn't it make it more difficult for voting against such things if we were forced to keep our views to the private realm?

And it would make it easier for party leaders and whips to bypass the need for conscience based voting and force MPs to toe the leadership line.

When I say "I'm loving this!" I wasn't talking about the outcome of the vote, which I deplore, just the terrible contradiction you are stuck in. This is the consequence of secularism. Enjoy the brave new world it brings. The other thing too is, by having people of less old-fashioned views, and with you wanting people like me politically gagged, or like those 'religious' MPs, your job in keeping certain things you disapprove of at bay, or keeping the old ways, like traditional family values, is now an awful lot harder!

I see. Regarding little sprogs in wombs as people is extreme. Only from a truly extreme perspective. There's such a thing as 'moderation' degenerating into a twisted extremism- Charles I and Eamonn De Valera were experts in that- as is the Obbster!

More likely the Baby Boom Generation are full of contempt for all other generations and are scared of the revenge the other generations will inflict on them once they are out of power. :roll:

Goonerman takes a note: Learned something new from Obbs today. My desire to be a dad one day is actually a manifestation of extremism. Hmmm.

Waiting on Pro-Choice posters showing babies with evil red eyes, vampire teeth and claws. And with a 'chilling' font saying, "PARASITES!!!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...