OZ under new management -

observer

The new Australian PM, Tony Abbot, intends to get Australian public finances back into the black, but at the same time, has announced major infrastructure projects. Where is he going to get the money from? Well, he's going to slash their overseas aid budget - Dave Cameron please note!

I bet he won't be daft enough to advocate spending billions on a railway line to get the executives to their destinations 30 minutes quicker....

agree totally with the overseas aid budget slashing though.... although I would cancel the whole lot and not just slash it.... when you think how many countries plough aid money into these third world bottomless pits; they should have more disposable income that we do when you add it all up!

• Upvote 1

Seems the Ozzys are roughing it a bit at the moment, as demand on their mining produce has gone down a bit.  However, with the emerging Chinese middle class starting to eat more meat, farming could become a prime exporter, as indeed it could in the UK. The problem in the UK however are EU regulations which means our meat can't compete on the Chinese market; unless we just send them the offal - which they seem to like!

Errm, I refer to regulations in relation to certain animal injections for example, which because they have to be licenced in each member State, cost 3 times the price in the USA (source BBC Countryfile).; all this red tape, contributes to our inability to compete with meat exports to places like China. However, the offal remains cheap, so perhaps we can get on with exporting that?!