Food poverty?

observer

Well, you know, people think Marie Antoinette was being uncaring and flippant when she said 'let them eat cake' during the bread famine in france but was she?

Consider it. Cake was more expensive to make than bread was so was she really being caring, sympathetic and considerate when she said to let the people have the cakes in lieu of bread? :unsure:

Why don't you look it up Cleo,, I had not got you down as a "Let them eat cake" type of person.

Here is a start

http://www.wfp.org/countries/Egypt/Overview

I aint bothering to read that because it would have been written by someone with his/her own opinions in mind. Different people can write on any subject and arrive at diametrically opposing conclusions.

As for your let them eat cake remark, you don't know me well enough to judge me. In fact you don't know me at all. Ever hear the expression 'Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing? :wink:

Wolfie; I'm sure some "food" poverty will exist, but not on the scale claimed by the luvvies. The main hole in the "essentials" budget will come from (a) shelter - which should be compensated by HB. (B) energy bills - which in the case of the elderly is compensated by the Winter Fuel Allowance. However, on that specific, I know some pensioners who treat their WFA as part of their general income, and spend it at the bookies. Then when it gets cold, leave their heating off for fear of the cost. Which brings me back to my suggestion, IF the money was paid directly to the Energy Companies to subsidise energy costs, it would assist everyone (young and old), and couldn't be spent at the bookies. © food - either direct subsidies on "healthy" food, with additional tax on "unhealthy" junk food, fags and booze etc; if necessary topped up with food vouchers. This would tick several boxes at the same time. :wink: