BBC's Land Girls

Geoffrey Settle

The week long series started yesterday and is an insight into the girls who had to work on the land during the 2nd WW.

I thought the first episode was quite good but I was put in my place by an ex-land girl this morning who was annoyed at how they were portrayed.

We didn't have cases she said we had sacks and no one came to meet us at the station. We had to spend hours in the fields planting and digging up spuds, we had no time for galivanting with the Americans at night as we were too tired.

However she did then start telling me of some of the things that happened and last year she received her medal for her service. Gladys is very proud of that medal.

I said what you really mean is you don't think it's any good because you missed out on a few things and your jealous :wink:

Have we any posters who were land girls or their mums or grans?

Guest tonymailman

This is the problem nowadays when television companies 'attempt' to make a drama series about real historical events .......... they totally and utterly distort the truth because it has to appeal to the viewer ....... NOT the historian :wink: