Curb Your Enthusiasm

big ste

I started watching this after catching an episode on that new More4 channel, and I'm hooked.

If you havent caught it yet, it's the new sitcom by Seinfeld co-writer Larry David where he plays himself and most of the dialogue is improvised.

I cannot stress how hysterical each episode is, and the imrpvisation in every episode makes it seem fresher than the last episode.

It basically sends up his life as a writer, and has many guest stars who portray themselves, and somehow get caught up with Larry's weird life - to my knowledge there's been Ben Stiller, David Schwimmer, Mel Brooks, Ted Danson, the basketball player Shaq et...

Larry's unique style of thinking is slightly warping my mind, now that I've been a busy little beaver and downloaded like 13 episodes so far (yeah i know it's wrong, but the show is totally addictive).

I know the show has gotten praise from critics in America, and has recieved some awards, but is yet to cause a stir here in the Uk.

Be sure to check it out on More4, Sundays at 9.30 (they are currently showing the 4th season, and the 5th season is currently airing in America)

-

this is a picture of him, and it pretty much sums up his style of thinking.

If there's ever one thing I urge you guys on this forum to do, it's to see this programme.

I thought I'd share some random quotes grabbed off the internet for you...

[Larry accidentally eats decorative manger scene cookies]

Becky: You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary.

Larry: I thought they were animal cookies.

Cheryl's Dad: Animal Cookies? What, are you kidding me?

Becky: Jesus Christ is not an animal.

Larry: I thought he was a monkey.

Cheryl's Dad: A monkey? Oh, please.

Cheryl's Mom: Larry, have you no shame?

Becky: The Son of God is not a monkey, Larry.

Wanda: Why'd you fire the black man?

Larry: I fired the black man... because... he's the guy who set up the whole system here and it doesn't work! And he's here like... every week, I'm givin' him checks, we've got five remotes, I can't turn it on... but I know, you know, *black* man can *never* do anything *wrong*, at least to get fired from a job! Black people *always* do everything right!

Wanda: [Walks over to TV, pushes button, fixes it] You gotta turn the damn satellite on for the TV to work! See the little green light? Just gotta turn it on! Or you can fire the black man. Whatever works for you.

Man: Are you Jewish?

Larry David: You want to check my penis?

[after leaving a terrible dinner party]

Larry: What's the level of anger here? What am I dealing with?

Cheryl: Well, I'd have to say at least an 8.7.

Larry: 8.7? That's not that bad. I thought it would be at least a 9.

Cheryl: It was a 9. Then you broke that lamp, and the crazy woman screamed at you, and it got you some pity points.

Larry: Pity points. That's fabulous, I love pity points. But how can I get to a 7? I know a 6 is out of the question, but is there any way I can get to a 7?

[Larry notices a picture on his rabbi's desk]

Larry: Is that you?

Rabbi: That's... that's Eddie Solomon. My brother-in-law. He, ummm... he died on September 11th.

Larry: Oh my gosh. Oh, I'm so sorry.

Rabbi: Yeah. Terrible.

Larry: He was in the building?

Rabbi: No, no. He, he was... uptown on 57th Street. He got hit by a bike messenger.

Larry: Uptown?

Rabbi: Yeah, yeah. Bike messenger. Hit 'em.

Larry: [Long pause] What a shame.

Larry David: I pee sitting down.

Jeff Greene: You pee sitting down?

Larry David: Yeah! Have you ever tried it?

Jeff Greene: No!

Larry David: It's more comfortable. When you get up during the night you don't have to turn on the light and wake up, and you get to read.

Jeff Greene: What are you reading?

Larry David: I'm reading a lot of stuff.

Jeff Greene: What stuff?

Larry David: If I peed twenty times during a day I can get through a whole New York Times for god's sake!

Jeff Greene: Twenty times?

Larry David: Yeah! Hey buddy, when you're peeing all over your shoe, I'm learnin' somethin'!

Jeff Greene: What makes you think I'm peeing all over my shoe while you're learnin' somethin'?

[ 08.11.2005, 08:39: Message edited by: BiG ]

In the Los Angeles market the first run CURB comes on at 10 PM followed the last eight weeks by Ricky Gervais' EXTRAS.

I haven't watched CURB - a whole show all the way through. I had the idea Larry was the basis for the Jason Alexander character, George Costanza. I did see the last half of Larry doing Mel Brooks' The Producers on stage - and it was wonderful.

Maybe it's because my second wife was stolen from me by a bald Jewish guy.

Yeah, I didn't get into it until after the show closed and they kept re-running it. My Dutch room mate in Seoul got VHS tapes of it from his friends in the USA and played them in our apartment for other English teachers. I always thought Costanza's diatribes were too contrived, but when I see Larry David, I see he is a model for non-conventional behavior or social graces.

• 4 weeks later...

Caught the last half of the half hour where Larry donates a kidney to his pal Richard Lewis, who refuses to lend him the use of a golf putter. Larry dies and goes to heaven with permission from his wife to fool around until she arrives. Marilyn Monroe is a big fan of Seinfeld show and wants to get together, but Larry gets sent back to earth into his body, to live a bit longer. yeah, I should have been watching this show.