Do Warrington Town appreciate their loyal fans?

GrimReaper

I have just had sight of the supporters club news letter and it would appear they feel a little disconnected from the management and players.

The previous set up whatever you think of them, always used to applaud the travelling fans and the home supporters at the end of the game.

Not much sign of that these days - other than from Rick Ward.

The manager and the captain need to make more effort to acknowledge their fans.

Firstly i'm glad to see someone signed up for the website. More should and more should join the supporters club (see form on the front page of the website). Plug over.

As to the question, depends how you measure the same.

I think at any level the easiest way is to applaud the fans. With poor displays both in terms of results and discipline in recent weeks, it wouldnt have gone amiss to acknowledge the continued support. That is best achieved by a simple wave or acknowledgement when leaving the pitch at full time (or if subbed).

The odd one does infrequentlyn (new keeper at Salford) and Rick's approach is exemplary and something I think all fans appreciate.

A bit more PR from the club and/or management wouldnt be missed either. A poor run of results and disciplinary issues has been barely mentioned if at all on the official page, facebook or twitter. Grumblings were heard prior to Salford away but the continued silence and poor display against Salford probably caused the comments made. I dont read the programme so am unable to comment on what has been said there, but there in this day an age is now more than one way to get a message across. Rick has a blog on the supporters website that could be better utilised as a link between the supporters and the club.

A handful of fans away and more at home do provide the requisite backing, but it shouldnt be taken for granted

Both of you are spot on.

I have actually started to wonder whether Shaun is more bothered about himself and his career or the success of his current club. Even in preseason, he spent half the time drinking coffee on the balcony thing above the changing rooms or just outside the changing rooms. He really just gives the impression that he's here as his job, not because he wants us to be successful.

His success and our success go together.

Also, I must say I also think a brilliant job has been done with the supporters club website and newsletter :)

A bit more PR from the club and/or management wouldnt be missed either. A poor run of results and disciplinary issues has been barely mentioned if at all on the official page, facebook or twitter. Grumblings were heard prior to Salford away but the continued silence and poor display against Salford probably caused the comments made. I dont read the programme so am unable to comment on what has been said there, but there in this day an age is now more than one way to get a message across. Rick has a blog on the supporters website that could be better utilised as a link between the supporters and the club.

[/size]

The manager and his brother seem prolific on twitter- may be the supporter's club should tweet him?

I think the main problem is too many of the players are journeymen who are just here for their money.

How many players have developed a rapport with the fans other than Shipton who is a local lad?

I think the main problem is too many of the players are journeymen who are just here for their money.

How many players have developed a rapport with the fans other than Shipton who is a local lad?

I do see what you mean :)

The only players available to us are generally the "journeymen", most of the players who would be loyal to us left alongside Joey. These Journeymen need to develop into the loyal players and gain our support.

We had quite a few fans favourites here last season, but as soon as Joey went, and they went with him, our fans just decided they were here as journeymen and here for Joey and used this against them.

In non-league, I would say the players play for the team for the Money, for the manager or because they know people in the club, and often just because it is nearby.

If a player brings something to the team, I am not bothered if he is a journeyman or whatever.

Players who play for the club (like Shippo) are very rare.

The alternative is to bring in the youth players and try to make them commit to the club. However, an overhaul like this is drastic, and would put a massive dent in the 10-year plan which I have heard rumours about.

(Liverpool are currently a mixture of a youth team, the manager's players and the club's players, so obviously all 3 can work together. This doesn't really mean much with my actual point, but it is a good example to have.)

I have to reply to this after last nights trip to Burscough, where the Barmy Army was in full voice once again, Those of us gathered BTG at Burscough, provided the only atmosphere in the ground, getting behind the lads throughout the game, and after the game, were acknowledged by not only Rick Ward, but also firstly by Liam Shipton, followed by a number of his colleagues including Jay McCarten. It was nice to see we were appreciated, and as we trooped round trooped round to leave, Shaun Reid, thanked us for the support, stating the support was top drawer.

Pitty we couldn't inspire the boys to a deserved three points, but we showed the Burscough fans, how to get behind your team

• Upvote 1