Margaret Thatcher is dead

Bazj

And still nobody is able to answer my question of why, if the changes she instigated were so wrong, nothing has been done in the last 23 years to change them back. And I'm afraid a question does not answer a question.

I remember the dying days of the Labour administration in 1979. Unemployment was rising and had reached the highest since WW2. Inflation was in double figures. The unions were leading the government by the nose and strikes were the order of the day. The government had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a handout. Things were far from the idyllic picture that people are trying to paint now. It really was a broken society then. People were as glad to see the back of the Labour government then as they were to see the back of the Conservatives in 1997.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And still nobody is able to answer my question of why, if the changes she instigated were so wrong, nothing has been done in the last 23 years to change them back. And I'm afraid a question does not answer a question.

I remember the dying days of the Labour administration in 1979. Unemployment was rising and had reached the highest since WW2. Inflation was in double figures. The unions were leading the government by the nose and strikes were the order of the day. The government had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a handout. Things were far from the idyllic picture that people are trying to paint now. It really was a broken society then. People were as glad to see the back of the Labour government then as they were to see the back of the Conservatives in 1997.

we 're too busy partying  :mrgreen:

• Upvote 1

I agree that the 70'S were not good in terms of industrial relations & 3 day weeks & hyper inflation when Ted Heath brought his threshold payment into to guard workers against price rises ,but at least a lot of people were working & had money to spend in our own economy  then Maggie came in & encouraged firms & utilities to move abroad & started something irreversible because there is nothing now to warrant manufacturing jobs in  Britain on the same scale.Welfare dependancy was encouraged & the 21st century economy started to take shape ...one economy for the wealthy & one for the poor ,the haves & have nots & no way to reverse the trend because the country's  manufacturing base had moved abroad .

Think perhaps Asp; that the reason her legacy hasn't been reversed is precisely because we've not had a PM (of any Party) with the political conviction or balls to do it. Think if we wish to view her legacy, all we have to do is look around us today - an almost non-existent manufacturing sector, insufficient (social) housing; an out of control and irresponsible financial sector and a culture of benefit dependency instead of jobs. So, on balance, a record of destruction rather than construction.

Ken Livinstone, that's as bad as reading the mail. I feel sorry for you bitter and twisted people who have this Anti=thatcher pain. Did she personally hurt any of you?

She was/is, the only PM to take on Europe and fight for the residents of the UK.

The Unions were dragging the country to its knees, she put a stop to that. If you object it says more about you, than her.  Didn't she only drag us into ONE war, whereas Blair dragged us into SIX.( But that's ok as it wasn't Maggie)

Like any business that isn't making money, you cut out the dead wood. Scargill and Co didn't want that, hence all the trouble.

Privatisation turned the gas electric and water into profit making businesses. Rightly or wrongly, the state was no longer subsidising these.

You can talk about greed in the City and I won't disagree, but the greed of the Union bosses back in those days was far worse.

At the end of the day, she shook this country up and got some pride back, Has any other PM done that since the war?

And as has been said, NO-ONE has reversed any of her policies, so does that mean they were correct.

I can't say that I liked her, but I liked what she wanted to change as it was badly needed.

So RIP Mrs T.

And still nobody is able to answer my question of why, if the changes she instigated were so wrong, nothing has been done in the last 23 years to change them back.

She developed the most dangerous idea we've ever seen in our lifetime, that a government doesn't exist to run the country, but can operate as a business making profit for the select few by using the country as a resource.

Once that was established, subsequent governments could continue what she'd started. So it's no surprise none of them wanted to change anything, and naturally the Labour government was going to become a Thatcherite government and indeed all parties would converge as Thatcherites. And that's exactly what's happened. That's why this country is in such a dire mess and none of the mainstream parties are interested in doing anything except continuing the damage.

Absolutely no use in justifying the evil one by comparing her with Blair, Brown or Cameron, because they were all useless as many on this forum keep reminding us.. Blair was a strong admirer of the evil one and carried on her policies. Those who cannot understand the anti evil one posts are ignoring the hurt she brought to so many. "She played a key role not only in bringing about the first Gulf war but also using her influence to publicly advocate for the 2003 attack on Iraq. She denounced Nelson Mandela and his ANC as "terrorists",  She was a steadfast friend to brutal tyrants such as Augusto Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and Indonesian dictator General Suharto"

As I have already qouted.  "People praising Thatcher's legacy should show some respect for her victims.

• Upvote 1

David Mellor:

And what was Thatcher's greatest reform? Why, of course, the Labour party. Tony Blair had to genuflect before the Thatcher shrine before the British public would elect him. The unsexing of leftwing Labour was probably the achievement of which, privately, she was most proud.

Just imagine the state the country would have been in if Kinnock had won the election.... the unions would have been rife, the three day week would have been a dream and instead of him fleecing the public via his many well paid jobs in Brussels; Kinnock and his family would have been the Kim Jong Sun of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Britain....

This news story which appeared on the day of her death (BBC) seems strangely appropriate (Maggie Thatch, milky etc.) as it concerns kiddies and milk

Retailers in the UK are rationing sales of powdered baby milk because of a surge in demand in China.

Danone, the manufacturer of Aptamil and Cow and Gate baby milk powder, said most supermarkets were introducing a restriction of two cans per customer.

It said the limit was to prevent some individuals from bulk-buying baby milk for "unofficial exports".

I have just watched the mid-day news and I was absolutely disgusted to see people celebrating and rejoicing the death of Margaret Thatcher in the streets of Bristol and Glasgow. Regardless of what anyone thinks of her achievements(or otherwise), this is a deplorable way to behave.  Some of the morons who were dancing in the street looked too young to know anything about Mrs Thatcher. I wonder what people in other countries thought, seeing this spectacle.

R.I.P. Maggie

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1