The Ghosts of Arley Estate.

algy

........ Peter Swinton moved into Dingle Farm in 1758, his son Thomas married Ann Bennett, my 6x great Aunt. Remember Jinny Swinton's cottages in Stockton Heath? Jinny/Jane was their daughter.

Do you have any dates for the Ann Swinton you found? I'll see if I can slot her in and we can find a link. Do you have your tree on ancestry?

The Jinny/Jane Swinton (daughter of Thomas and your Ann Bennett) had a brother 'John Swinton' (b1795).  He is the father of Ann(e) Swinton (Beswick)

from this line...

Peter Swinton (b1724) married Jenny Whittle (b1724)

their child...... Thomas Swinton (b1754) married your Ann Bennett (b1757)

their child..... John Swinton (b1795) brother of Jinny/Jane married Anne Whitlow (b1806)

their child.... Ann(e) Swinton (b1840) married John Beswick (b1842)

you mentioned that Peter Swinton moved in Dingle Farm in 1758.  Was it owned by the same family from then right upto Ann(e) Swinton/Beswick and her kids... maybe even from then on too  Nice if it did eh ?

PS Yes my tree (well my trees, lots of them) are on Ancestry.  I made the mistake of having mine and my other halfs on the same tree so our son could see his roots (and he's not the slightest bit interested neither is my other half).  I wish I'd just stuck to direct lines too now. 

Ah! Stupid me! I did have that line on my tree but thought it wasn't the right one for some weird reason! So your other half is descended from the Swintons and haven't you got a connection to the Bennetts? I remember us discussing Arthur before, so you and he are actually related  :blink:

Anyhoo, do you know the connection from the Whitlows to poor Bessie Taylor of Lymm? From memory I think you've got a copy of Outrages Fatal or other haven't you? The full story's in there but Bessie Taylor was murdered by George Chapman who is one of the prime suspects for being Jack the Ripper. Ann Whitlow had a brother John and Bessie was his Granddaughter. 

Maybe we should have a look at each other's trees on Ancestry and see where we match? I did copy a load of Swinton stuff from someone else's tree, it may even have been yours!

Re Dingle Farm, Peter Swinton was a tenant farmer, the farm was actually part of the Arley estate. Around this time I think tenants could bequeath their tenancies to their children, not sure when that stopped. 

I've not got that book Tracey, I'll have to see if the library have it.

Your Ann Bennett (1757) who you say is your 6x great Aunt is my other half's 4th great grandma.

I didn't have Ann Swinton/Beswick on my other half's tree line until today though so you wont have got it from there and I think mines set to 'private' anyway.  I have a Jinny/Jane Swinton one too from when we were trying to sus out the cottages and that's public but there wasn't a great deal on that one until today  

I still haven't linked damn Alderman Arthur to my own maternal side yet.... infact I'm not sure if I've actually got him on my other half's paternal side or not as like I said I don't do much with his now.

I really must find the link to my tree though as I can't wait to see the look on my sons face when I can prove that mine and his dads ancestors were related ha ha

So.....How do I let you look at my tree so we can see where we cross ? :)

We'll need to exchange either ancestry user names or e-mail addresses. Then, when you're in your tree, you see the title of it and just to the right it says 'tree pages', hover over that and one of the options is 'share tree', if you click on that and follow the instructions. I'll pm my details to you.

• 2 weeks later...