The Ghosts of Arley Estate.

algy

Please visit the tearoom at Dingle Farm and sign their petition to allow them to continue trading because, apparently, neighbours have contacted Warrington Unitary Council asking for them to be shut down.

I don't why.

My wife's gg grandfather (farmer Ford) was a 17c tenant of Dingle Farm and may have been a bit rough.

Ford's Rough continues from Dingle Lane to Dood's lane.

Use Wellies and go under the bridge. Well worth the effort.

• Upvote 1

So we have something in common RC. Have you looked at the Tithe Maps? It shows Peter Ford as the tenant on Dingle Farm.

My parents mentioned the petition, seems churlish of the neighbours to complain. I'm sure bog standard commercial farm traffic would be significantly more of a nuisance than the comings and goings of a tea room. 

Hello again Peter T

I still have absolutely no idea why or where the neighbours who have objected to the Dingle Tea rooms and Art centre live but I would suggest that we should all now use metres, rarther than yards. (in accordance with the EU directive 329759996433) .

And yes Tracey I do mean Arthur Bennett (Alderman of this Parish).

His gg son now lives nearby (did you know that?) x

Thanks Peter T for the accolade. When did you see me on the stage? I would like dates and details of each performance you have seen me in. Do you want my autograph? (I only usuall give one to my most interested supporters, for you I may make an exception) but only if it is possible for you to calculate the distance between the volcanic centre of Earth to the subcutainious crust above the most northernly, and then the most southernly, in feet and inches. It is an easy metric calculation, as I am sure you will agree?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Please visit the tearoom at Dingle Farm and sign their petition to allow them to continue trading because, apparently, neighbours have contacted Warrington Unitary Council asking for them to be shut down.

I don't why.

My wife's gg grandfather (farmer Ford) was a 17c tenant of Dingle Farm and may have been a bit rough.

Ford's Rough continues from Dingle Lane to Dood's lane.

Use Wellies and go under the bridge. Well worth the effort.

Hello I live near the Dingle tea room and I know it is not the neighbours who have made the complaint. Apparently its a local parish councillor who made the complaint. Regarding local rumour about a ghost at the farm, as far as I am aware the ambiance at the Dingle farm is calm and peaceful which leads me to believe there is no ghost. As I am interested in history I have been asked to research the history of the farm so if you or if you know anyone with information, I would really appreciate it if you would be kind enough to share it with me. Feel free to e-mail at Claudia.hall1@btinternet.com

I am sure the staff at the dingle farm would appreciate it if people would pop in to sign the petition.

Thank you :)

Hello I live near the Dingle tea room and I know it is not the neighbours who have made the complaint. Apparently its a local parish councillor who made the complaint. Regarding local rumour about a ghost at the farm, as far as I am aware the ambiance at the Dingle farm is calm and peaceful which leads me to believe there is no ghost. As I am interested in history I have been asked to research the history of the farm so if you or if you know anyone with information, I would really appreciate it if you would be kind enough to share it with me. Feel free to e-mail at Claudia.hall1@btinternet.com

I am sure the staff at the dingle farm would appreciate it if people would pop in to sign the petition.

Ghost of Dingle Farm, that's a new one on me!, I new Lenny who used to farm Dingle until he retired to Grappenhall a few years back, we used to discuss many subjects when we met at the local community centre but he never mentioned ghosts,

unfortunately Lenny has passed on so too late to ask him. Never fear we shall do some investigating.

I've e-mailed you!

Welcome to the forum Cluy :)

I don't know much about the history of Dingle Farm other than what had already been mentioned on here re the Tithe map details etc.

You probably already know this but.....

The Beswick family lived at the farm certainly at the time of the 1901 and 1911 census.  I have copies of those census page records if you haven't already got them.

John Beswick died around 1902 and he left Dingle Farm etc to his wife Anne (sometimes noted as Annie/Ann) and their children. 

(note for Algy if he's reading as he will find this really funny...... Anne Beswick's maiden name was 'Swinton'.. think back to the topic about Swintons Cottages in Stockton Heath (jinny swinton etc).... well Anne is from that family so is yet another one we can associate with Traceys lot.  Gosh Tracey.... when and where will all this end as virtually every time we search for things an association with your family pops up :lol:)

Anyway back on track.....

Here is a copy of John Beswicks will where he leaves Dingle Farm to his kids etc.   I wonder why he left different shares to his children?  Maybe he liked 2 of them more than the others.

Click to enlarge if it's hard to read

willforupload_zpsce7454cc.jpg

Hardly Sherlock Algy as although I can always find other people's stuff I'm completely stuck on my own family tree and have been for the past year.  :lol:

Gets worse though.  I was pondering all night about John and Ann B as I lay there too hot to sleep so have just spent over an hour on the Ancestry website searching and adding more to my other half's tree as there are Swintons in his too.  Naughty me as I really should be working ssssshh

Well........ it turns out that Ann Beswick (nee Swinton) is my other half's Great Great Grandfathers sister :shock:

So that makes the John Beswick and Ann his great great aunt and uncle (or is it great great grand aunt and uncle, I get confused).

What relationship is she to you Tracey?

Sorry Cluy... I realise that is of no help to you at all re the history Dingle Farm but I/we get side tracked like this from time to time.

Cluy, sorry I have not come up with anything regarding a haunting at Dingle farm, probably something that has been said by perhaps a housemaid or farm employee many years ago, I would be more than happy if someone comes up with something though. You do realise that the ghost of Arley Hall was just a spoof that I posted way back don't you, it may have been some idoit like me who stared the Dingle Farm Haunting. :D:wink:

I'm not sure how the Beswick/Swinton's you found relate to me as they're not on my tree. I haven't put the whole Swinton lot on there because they're not my direct ancestors and there's tons of them! Peter Swinton moved into Dingle Farm in 1758, his son Thomas married Ann Bennett, my 6x great Aunt. Remember Jinny Swinton's cottages in Stockton Heath? Jinny/Jane was their daughter.

Do you have any dates for the Ann Swinton you found? I'll see if I can slot her in and we can find a link. Do you have your tree on ancestry?

Welcome to the forum Cluy :)

I don't know much about the history of Dingle Farm other than what had already been mentioned on here re the Tithe map details etc.

You probably already know this but.....

The Beswick family lived at the farm certainly at the time of the 1901 and 1911 census.  I have copies of those census page records if you haven't already got them.

John Beswick died around 1902 and he left Dingle Farm etc to his wife Anne (sometimes noted as Annie/Ann) and their children. 

(note for Algy if he's reading as he will find this really funny...... Anne Beswick's maiden name was 'Swinton'.. think back to the topic about Swintons Cottages in Stockton Heath (jinny swinton etc).... well Anne is from that family so is yet another one we can associate with Traceys lot.  Gosh Tracey.... when and where will all this end as virtually every time we search for things an association with your family pops up :lol:)

Anyway back on track.....

Here is a copy of John Beswicks will where he leaves Dingle Farm to his kids etc.   I wonder why he left different shares to his children?  Maybe he liked 2 of them more than the others.

Click to enlarge if it's hard to read

willforupload_zpsce7454cc.jpg

Thanks that's a great help :)