Intolerance a two-way street?

observer

I can see why a politician would not want to be near him, he might say something else, as to him being an extremist, the salute was stupid, but we have a Prince who has dressed up as a nazi, And I might be wrong I think he said Mussolini was misunderstood, I just think he is your typical footballer, not many of them are known for their IQ. Hence politicians don't want to be any where near them.

Obs... in reply to your original question: Yes they should. Unfortunately, many people cannot stand this concept and so we have Positive Discrimination in the forms of Women only shortlists, ethnic only shortlists etc.

People like Harriet Harperson thinks that there should be exactly the same number of men, women, gays, straights, black whites etc. in every firm in the land... cloud cuckoo land she must live in!!

If the best person happens to be a white male; give him the job. If the best person is a black gay woman; give her the job. Just don't award the job to a lesser person just because their profiling fits the bill rather than their qualifications

• Upvote 1

On an entirely tongue in cheek basis if we had not given women the vote then we may not have had T as PM and also possibly heading towards May as PM. I intend no disrespect to Emily Davison who died yards away from my grandfather at Epsom in 1913. Neither PM was/would be an ally of the poor as is now being rolled out in the Welfare Changes beginning on 1/4. It's all about equality and diversity in local authorities and the more they can show they are doing this then the better their results on audit and therefore in compliance with league tables will be...

Peridot

Unfortunately, all this pc, namby pamby, positive descrimination has led to incompetence & leadership problems all across the public sector because many leaders of organisations now  have to have a consensus of opinion to make a decision on anything. The days of great politicians are numbered because they are serving too many masters & catering for the fringes instead of the wider electorate in case they offend anyone.Any politician these days who would be willing to open his mouth wide & put his foot in it would ,i believe, be seen as a statesman because he/she has made a decision to speak out.

Paulo Di Canio has vowed "Sunderland will conquer Europe"......starting with Poland first one presumes.

The French have already admitted that Di Canio is correct and have withdrawn all of their teams from any future European matches, The Italians have asked if Di Canio needs any extra players to achieve his domination of Europe whereas the English know he's a prat and expect to drum him out of the competition completely within the next few years :lol:

Unfortunately, all this pc, namby pamby, positive descrimination has led to incompetence & leadership problems all across the public sector because many leaders of organisations now  have to have a consensus of opinion to make a decision on anything. The days of great politicians are numbered because they are serving too many masters & catering for the fringes instead of the wider electorate in case they offend anyone.Any politician these days who would be willing to open his mouth wide & put his foot in it would ,i believe, be seen as a statesman because he/she has made a decision to speak out.

By pc,  I take it you mean the right of a someone to be given any job. including as a football manager, regardless of their political views - well as a wooly minded liberal I have to whole-heartedly they should be able to.

Just as someone with republican views should be able to be a member of parliament or be a policeman or member of the armed forces without having to swear loyalty to the crown.

However,  I  think it is entirely understandable why Miliband major felt the need to step down and why the miners want their banner back from Sunderland FC .

I can't help thinking that  in proclaiming himself as a fascist he was just being an immature , politically unaware, attention seeking prat.

Because the thread had diverged somewhat i was using the pc in a broader context Nick . Strangely enough though di Canio's  views have not done any harm all the while he was at Swindon where he must have come into contact with a variety of races...they have only become an issue because of Milliband & the NUM & the issue has given both those entities some unexpectedly good publicity.

Because the thread had diverged somewhat i was using the pc in a broader context Nick .

The problem with the use of "pc" is it tends to be use very broadly - often  as an intellectually lazy, knee-jerk form of abuse for anything someone disagrees with - and can be contradictory.

So someone may feel that  a company not being allowed to exclude one person is "pc "- but excluding someone else is "pc"  - someone being allowed to wear one religion's apparel or symbols is "pc" - stopping someone wearing another religions apparel or symbols is "pc".

Political correctness is a blight on society , one of the biggest travesties being the de selection of many Labour MPs by one of  Blair's governments in order to fill their places with women because it was deemed the right thing to do & would attract women voters. All it did was produce a bunch of MPs who, when it came to the crunch, had little to offer apart from agreeing with the previous speaker. Who knows what the next criteria will be for prospective MPs...maybe de frocked gay bishops or even people who are not swayed by corruption...now that would be a novelty !

Political correctness is a blight on society , one of the biggest travesties being the de selection of many Labour MPs by one of  Blair's governments in order to fill their places with women because it was deemed the right thing to do & would attract women voters. All it did was produce a bunch of MPs who, when it came to the crunch, had little to offer apart from agreeing with the previous speaker. Who knows what the next criteria will be for prospective MPs...maybe de frocked gay bishops or even people who are not swayed by corruption...now that would be a novelty !

Agreed that no-one should be selected for, or secluded from,  any job or office on the basis of their genitalia. Traditionally this has been because roles were seen as male or female - that was seen as "correct" - and in many fields it still is.

However if any organisation is attracting a disproportion fewer amount of applicants  from 50% of the potential applicant base - whether that is the male or female half - then it needs to be asked why - they may well be missing out on the best candidates. If a disproportionate amount of candidates are turned down at interview or failing to get to the interview stage then , for the same reason, the organisation needs to ask why.

That is not what you would term "political correctness" -  just common sense.