Masonic Steward ?? 1946

Dizzy

What roll did a masonic steward do in 1946 ?  Were they just there to make sure people did what they should and  that they abided by the rules?

Was that one of the lower ranks of the masons and did people work their way up from there or was it a little more important that that ?

masonicsteward1945_zpsd2383562.jpg

Masonic Lodge Stewards Duties would not have been much different in 1946 than it is today. Each lodge may through a different but minor interpretation on the stewards duties, but basically the same. It is one of the lowest ranks other than the Tyler who is the 'Door Guard' ensuring that there are no eavesdroppers and only Masonic members enter the lodge.

General Duties of the Masonic Lodge Steward.

The position came into general use through the church, in which it was adopted as the name for an important official and also for an important theological doctrine; the doctrine of stewardship. The word itself had a peculiar origin. In Anglo Saxon stigo was a sty or place in which domestic animals were kept; I weard (see “warden” on following page) was a guard, or keeper; therefore the steward was the keeper of the cattle pens. Its meaning became enlarged to include the duties of general over-seer, one who is in charge of a household or estate for another; and still more generally, one who provides for the needs for food, money, and supplies. In the history of Masonry the office of steward has performed a variety of functions; the caring of funds, distribution of charity, preparing for banquets and similar services.

The officers in a Symbolic Lodge, whose duties are, to assist in the collection of dues and subscriptions; to provide the necessary refreshments, and make a regular report to the Treasurer; and generally to aid the Deacons and other officers in the performance of their duties. They usually carry white rods, and the jewel of their office is a cornucopia, which is a symbol of plenty.

The stewards are also required to stand in for any absent junior officer.

Stewards fulfill a number of junior assistant roles. There is considerable variance, even within the same jurisdiction, as to the precise roles played by Stewards. Some of their common duties could include the following:

• Stewards are often tasked with an understudy role to fill the position of the Senior Deacon or Junior Deacon, in their absence.
  • When a degree ceremony is performed, one or more Steward(s) may be required to assist the two Deacons in conducting the candidates around the temple.
  • Stewards have a traditional role in many jurisdictions of serving wine at any meal after the lodge meeting, often extended to a general supervision and planning of catering and refreshments. They also care for the welfare and needs of visiting members from other lodges

Some jurisdictions specify that each lodge has two Stewards, known as the 'Senior Steward' and 'Junior Steward'. In others the Worshipful Master may appoint any number of Stewards, according to the size and requirements of his lodge, and in this respect the office is unique.

Although newer members usually fill the office of Steward, in some lodges it is traditional for a Past Master to be appointed to supervise the stewards work. The office may serve to dignify a useful member of the Lodge, such as a webmaster or wine buyer, or to establish precedence in the rotation of office.

There is also another rank called the Charity Steward whos duties are slightly different, although the title does speak for itself.

A question for any of our members who may belong to the mason's or have  bit more knowledge of them than I have. What is the procedure regarding the certificate issued to members of a masonic lodge after they have passed away. Should the certificate be sent back to the members lodge. The reason I ask is that the late father in-law was a mason and as such I have his certificate and was wondering what should be done with it.

The other thing is if his lodge is no longer active do I hand it in to the nearest lodge. At present it is filed away with some other paperwork. I suppose if I don't need to hand it in I could always have it framed and hang it on the wall but then would worry that any visitors may think that I was a mason and then I may get in trouble with them (the masons that is) :ph34r:

Sid - I don't know the exact procedure but you could check with the Masonic Hall in Winmarleigh Street or contact the HQ of Freemasonry whose details you may be able to get by google. I had the same problem with my late father's masonic jewels etc and as I never fancied the Masons just contacted another member of the Lodge which was then extant and was told to return them and later found out they were given to another member of the Lodge as and when he achieved the equivalent rank. Come to think of it I don't recall ever getting a similar certificate...

Peridot

did try to find the lodge he was at but it seems to have closed. May try contacting the masonic lodge in Warrington and see what they have to say. Considering that the certificate is the same age me it is in pristine condition. He must have kept it in an envelope or something.the paper itself is quite thick and written in English and I think Latin and is signed by the "Right Honourable the Earl of Scarborough K C" and with an embossed stamp and looks to have been torn out of a larger sheet. Not come across any jewelry of masonic significance but have got an interesting pair of RAF cuff-links in the shape of an oval in blur enamel with a winged orb surmounted by a crown and RAF written across them.

What roll did a masonic steward do in 1946 ?  Were they just there to make sure people did what they should and  that they abided by the rules?

Was that one of the lower ranks of the masons and did people work their way up from there or was it a little more important that that ?

[img=http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l346/dismayed_2008/masonicsteward1945_zpsd2383562.jpg]

D

This medal is not a Masonic Lodge medal it's from a boys institute surported by the Masons.

The Royal Masonic School for Boys was an independent school for boys in England.

From 1798 charities were set up for clothing and educating sons of needy Freemasons. They originally provided education by sending them to schools near to their homes. A specific masonic boys' school was set up at Wood Green in North London in 1857 following amalgamation of the charities in 1852.[1]

Also the name "Earl of Scarborough K C" on the certificate does the KC not mean Knights of Columbus?

Just wondering

Thanks Nick,

do both branches of the Ancient Order of Druids still exist?

My grandad was caretaker at Oakwood Avenue School (Padgate) after he was discharged from the army after ww1 so my best guess would be Church of England!

We did find an invoice for unpaid subscription charges, however, dating from 1200bc which (with interest charges) amounted to £25 billion pounds.

In order to avoid death duties we have donated this to the British Museum.

Thanks Nick,

do both branches of the Ancient Order of Druids still exist?

My grandad was caretaker at Oakwood Avenue School (Padgate) after he was discharged from the army after ww1 so my best guess would be Church of England!

We did find an invoice for unpaid subscription charges, however, dating from 1200bc which (with interest charges) amounted to £25 billion pounds.

In order to avoid death duties we have donated this to the British Museum.

I think it must be 1200 AD otherwise it would have been made in stone.

It was made in stone, with garnature handles and rubies, pearls and diamonds attached. The whole thing seemed to have been made from ancient jade and onyx from ancient times,

The British Museum valued it at about 25 million pounds but we decided to donate it to the nation for the future generations to enjoy.

Cleopatra may know more about this because most of the gemstones came from Egypt .

Sounds fascinating but oh my goodness I am actually mega confused about your grandad, WW1, year 1200, the subscription charges, the £25 billion (then 'million' worth) and the death duties and donation to the museum RC.

Can you explain it to me slowly like I am still in pre-school as I think that's the level of my brain power today.

PS... I replied to your personal message (PM) re the copy of the 'will' I have from another topic that you asked for but I never got a reply from you ..... do you still want it ?

It was made in stone, with garnature handles and rubies, pearls and diamonds attached. The whole thing seemed to have been made from ancient jade and onyx from ancient times,

The British Museum valued it at about 25 million pounds but we decided to donate it to the nation for the future generations to enjoy.

Cleopatra may know more about this because most of the gemstones came from Egypt .

I presume you photographed this ancient artifact prior to its donation RC, I would be very interested to see it. :wink:

Ignore what I said RC.

I just happen to have just been into my personal messenger on here which showed as me having  NO NEW MESSAGES hence I hadn't looked and yet I do actually I have two from you re the above that I wasn not alerted to. 

Damn technology and serves me right for relying on a little red box to alert me that someone has messaged me again.  No idea why that didn't work.

Give me a few minutes and I will email you the pages and also reply to say that I have,  Appologies !!!!

No problem RC but hey I'm still confused about your post about your grandad, ww1, the year 1200, subscription charges,  the druids and the £25 billion/million etc etc.

You are cruel for not replying to that post and it's just not fair :P  :lol: