Buildings in Bridge St. waiting to be demolished.

algy

1884/5 Buildings at the lower end of Bridge St. waiting to be knocked down in preparation to widen the thoroughfare, there appears to be a Royal Appointment Crest over the door of the shop next to the 'Yorkshire Free Trade Butcher,s unfortunately I'm not able to identify what the shop traded in, (as yet), Dizz, would you care to have a go!.

1884Buildingstobedemolishedonthewestside

Cynically suggesting the Royal Appointed Crest might be a decoy here.  Just indicating that the royals do have the appearance of taking their gin straight.  Not making any accusations, just putting it out there.

Perhaps this accounts for this bout of Phil's flatulence then.

Royal Flatulence

It would seem that someone within the ranks of the Royal Family passed wind whilst on the balcony,

much to the amusement of all.  Notice HM the Queen's face in the first two photos, then look at her

final expression. How guilty does HRH the Duke of Edinburgh look for creating the Royal Fart?

RoyalFamilyFart-640x630_zpse63d8d0b.jpg

Looks as if the shop with the crest on the front No. 118 Bridge St. had belonged to a Henry Simcock, Watchmaker, Jeweller & Silversmith and I think the posters on the shop front are displaying "Removed" to No. 123 Bridge St, across the street which of course were not demolished. The shop sign displaying the name 'Pierpoint' was No. 122 and they were Pierpoint & Co. Baker & Flour Dealers.

I will upload a photo of Sankey St. tomorrow that needs two items identifying!.

• Upvote 1

In Slater's Directory of Warrington 1895 no 123 Bridge St is occupied by John Whitby, Chemist and Druggest. It's a bit later so not sure if it's the same business but a crest or some sort of licensing system for a chemist seems logical to me, not sure whether it's a historical fact though!

Trace by 1895 all those shops had been demolished to allow Bridge street to be widened the old numbers would have been given to the new buildings/shops. No. 123 Bridge St. is on the opposite side of the street.

The 1890 map illustrates where the shops in the photo had been demolished.

Demel as you can see Union Court was further up Bridge St.

1890s_zps55d735c9.jpg

Oh, I think I misunderstood. So what you're saying is that the business in the photo, pre demolition, moved to No 123 across the road which wasn't demolished. The building would still exist in 1895 but would have been re-numbered so 123 Bridge St would appear to magically move location?!

Er! yes the business moved to premises across the street, but the numbers of Bridge Street remained the same, even numbers  ie. 122 was the old shop on the left ( looking up ) of the street, odd numbers on the right of the street.

Before

1884Buildingstobedemolishedonthewestside

After.

WarringtonBridgeStreettheRoyalOakontheri

So the numbers stayed the same?! OK, in that case I stand by my earlier post! What I was saying is that the posters on the crest building in your first photo say the business moved from the even side of the street to the odd, no 123. The demolition made no difference to the numbering so No 123 pre demolition would have been the same as No 123 post demolition? Have I got that bit right?

Therefore, finding the business at No 123 could tell us what the business in the first picture on the even side of the street was, as No 123 is the relocated business. 

Phew, think I need a lie down now .....

Yup!, however it is possible that the business that moved from 122 across the street to 123 failed for whatever reason, in that event your Slater's 1895 Directory would only give the new owners in 123, not the owners from 122 as they would have departed.

Another factor possibly confirming that 122 had been a jewellers is that if you enlarge the original photo it clearly shows metal security bars to the windows.

hope I'm not confusing the issue Trace!. :wink: