Bin and gone

Egbert

Doubtless you have all had your wheelie bin stickers informing you of what days your various bins will be collected from April.

I just hope the information is correct - because it certainly wasn't on the last sticker issued for green bins.

It informed me that green bin collections would start on, I think, February 7.  They didn't.

I checked on the council website and found a different start date. That was wrong too!

I contacted the council's information centre who, after three days, emailed back to see they THOUGHT my bin would be collected on another different date. I put my bin out, without much hope, but it was indeed collected!

But on the next due date according to the sticker it wasn't - neither was it on the date listed on the council website. I didn't bother the information centre again, as three days is too long to wait for a reply. So my green bin is still uncollected and is nearly full.

I am hoping the new 2013 sticker will be accurate - but I am not holding my breath.

Well in Penketh they started collecting the blue and green bins fortnightly on the same day as the black bins a couple of weeks ago. From next month I believe the black bins will go to fortnightly and be collected the alternate week to the green and blue.

Thought Polish was now our official second language?!

Ah so you have been shopping at Cheshire Oaks, Riverside Retail Park, Ikea and in the town centre recently too Obs.

Not sure if they were all speaking Polish but whatever the languages many other shoppers were talking in when I was there it definately wasn't English (or Scotish, Welsh, French, German, Spanish) There were quite a lot of '?Indian?' sounding languages too to be fair though.

I guess that maybe our english ears pick up sounds we are not familiar with more than ones we are used to so they tend to stand out and we notice them more as we wander along  :lol:

Ah so you have been shopping at Cheshire Oaks, Riverside Retail Park, Ikea and in the town centre recently too Obs.

Not sure if they were all speaking Polish but whatever the languages many other shoppers were talking in when I was there it definately wasn't English (or Scotish, Welsh, French, German, Spanish) There were quite a lot of '?Indian?' sounding languages too to be fair though.

I guess that maybe our english ears pick up sounds we are not familiar with more than ones we are used to so they tend to stand out and we notice them more as we wander along  :lol:

nope.... there are a load more Eastern Europeans over here doing the jobs our youngsters should be doing and so keeping them off the benefits they are currently on. When we have zero unemployment for ordinary unskilled jobs; then we should invite the foreigners in and not before

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Those'll be the jobs that our own youngsters have turned their noses up at will they Obs?

Jobs paying AT LEAST £12,500 per year (that's what minimum wage is for over 21's - and advertised jobs aren't allowed to discriminate by age), which the Poles etc are willing to do while living far away from home, paying rent, paying bills, and buying food - but UK youngsters living at home, paying little or no rent, no bills, and often buying no food, won't trouble themselves to get out of bed for.

do take your head out of the sand.... if you believe 5that EVERY UK person who is not in a job doesn't want a job then you are as daft as Kije and his mate.... Every time a job is advertised, thousands apply but the attitude you are expressing can only damage the reputation of any UK youngster looking for work. If any employer believes the nonsense that you believe; our kids will never stand a chance

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2012/04/pete-a12.html

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=thousands%20apply%20for%20jobs%20uk&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CFAQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-scotland-south-scotland-21367816&ei=nAlSUa7yPMmm0AXZ0IGwBg&usg=AFQjCNFwcI8uxpNnYZiM3DjL2DeSb9iYhQ

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=thousands%20apply%20for%20jobs%20uk&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CGUQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thisisbristol.co.uk%2FThousands-apply-new-Bristol-Primark-jobs%2Fstory-11255622-detail%2Fstory.html&ei=nAlSUa7yPMmm0AXZ0IGwBg&usg=AFQjCNEaOJydU8qHKUZ_xGA7zFNASNZV_A

• Upvote 1

I'm training and assessing another batch of new machine operators and machine operators assistants at one of my customers in Liverpool all week this week.

The assistant job pays minimum wage, the operator gets about £1 per hour more. Plus shift allowance of up to 25%. Plus overtime available on top of a 40 hours week.

All the jobs were advertised in several local job centres for 2 weeks, and yet less than half of the 12 jobs could be filled with UK applicants. Despite advertising these for 2 full weeks there were only 7 UK applicants in total, of whom 2 were judged to be unsuitable and were not hired.

The 7 Eastern Europeans (mixture of Poles, Latvians and Lithuanians) I've got in my group all applied online via the JobSearch facility on the gov.uk website (where most Job Centre adverts are placed), all were still in their home countries when they applied, all had interviews via webcam, and have all got their own back sides into gear to get over here, find their bearings, sort out accomodation and transport etc, all within the past week or so.

I'm sorry if the FACTS of my personal experience are at odds with what you'd like to believe Baz. But those sad FACTS are that the majority of UK youngsters (and quite some proportion of their parents generation too!) are lazy, feckless, and utterly convinced that the world owes them a living.

Then I am sorry too.... sorry that we are unable as a country to be able to force these feckless types off their backsides and force them to take the work whether they want it or not and completely strip them of ALL benefits if they won't take the work

Of course maybe we can't force them because maybe there are rules and human rights that allow them the freedom to choose to be lazy bastards if they want to be..... sadly it annoys me that my taxes have to go to pay someones benefits whilst having to allow even more foreigners in to do the jobs that need to be done.... in your example Inky, we now have 14 people using public resources with no one paying tax (or very little when on minimum wage) their wages will be topped up with benefits plus the benefits of seven doleys who wouldn't take the work so you have to ask.....How is low paid labour immigration good for the country?

Well it is now nearing April, the snow is falling fast and so far no indication of when i have to start fortnightly bin collections. Bins from last week are still in the back entry after being emptied. Daft thing is just seen one guy walk from the far end of the houses to his bin at my end of the street to put some rubbish in it. (well i assume it was his bin, knowing the people round here they will put rubbish in any bin that is available and has a bit of space in it. must be all that anti litter campaign stuff creeping in, "find a bin and put it in")

As for the jobs applications. it is all down to what people expect and what they are willing to put up with. As somebody who has had to spend time looking for work in the past i can say that it is not hard to find work but finding work that i am qualified to do is. Quite a lot of the positions that I applied for i was turned down as being "overqualified" usually meaning that i knew more about how to do the job than the person in charge or conducting the interviews for that matter.

In this day of instant information quite a lot of the younger workforce do not want the sort of jobs on offer. They want a job that pays them enough so they can go out and have a few drinks every other night but not have to work too hard to get the money. (being a bit sarcastic there really). the big problem is that quite a lot of the young generation have been brought up in the age where IT was seen to be the thing to be in and manual labour something that others did. Get educated in a uni you will have better job prospects. well actually no because everybody else has the same idea so the sort of high paying job that a university place would have got you several years back now has a hundred times more applicants. nobody wants to work on woolies counter any more as it is not seen as a good job. ok so dad was a machine operator but that is much too low a position for me i want to be the boss earning the good money. Why bother earning a trade these days when our manufacturing industry is almost non-existent.

couple all that with the growth industry of job agencies that will get you work, albeit for a few weeks and at the other end of the country but at least we are trying to get you work and you can easily see why workers from other countries come over here to fill positions. So what if it is minimum wage, it is still more than we would get doing nothing in our own country.

Can't tell you what the answer to this is because i do not know if i did i would be making money hand over fist sorting the country out.Apprenticeships that mean something would be a start and not these six months well done here is your certificate now get back on the dole and find a job if you can ones.

rant over off for a soothing cup of coffee.

Not sure how we got here in a thread on bin collections. But thanks to Asperity, I got ALL my bins emptied today - Black, Blue and Green!  Why, I am not sure, as the only bin I had any confidence would be emptied was the black one. Still, come next week we are on the new system. Just a pity the council made such a mess of the change over period.

On the subject of Poles working over here. I regularly stay at a seaside hotel where they employ a Polish waiter who has been with them for about 10 years. They value him highly and he is a pleasant, hard working young man who, if he has not waiting on jobs to do, is quite prepared to go out and mow the lawn, do various repair jobs, etc. I believe they pay him well (at least, judging by the car he is running). He returns home regularly to visit his parents. His girl friend occasionally comes and works at the hotel as well.

This lad was taken on in the first place because no local person would take the job

Just to endorse what you are saying Egbert, I don't have a problem with foreign labour working in this country as long as they are here legally, after taking early retirement in 1993 I took a 'top up' job with a large hotel chain for ten years as a maintenance man and worked alongside Spanish, Polish,Turkish and other foreign staff, all here legally, and to a man (and woman) they worked harder than staff fom the local area, they had to, to retain their jobs. back to topic, the change over seems to be going well in our area, we received information along with sticky labels yesterday detailing what is happening, so quite happy with the way things are going here, in general never had problems regarding collection of bins of any colour.

Algy.... the councillors are stealing money from you and lying as they do it.

They have supposedly kept the increase in council tax down to below the local referendum level but in fact it has increased more because we are still being charged the same for the fortnightly bin collections as we were for the weekly ones.

They are liars....all of them

I'm sorry if the FACTS of my personal experience are at odds with what you'd like to believe Baz. But those sad FACTS are that the majority of UK youngsters (and quite some proportion of their parents generation too!) are lazy, feckless, and utterly convinced that the world owes them a living.

Something doesn't add up here because if unemployed people don't apply for job vacancies then they are subject to sanctions, one of which is losing their job seekers allowance. Not only that but employers can log on to locate jobseekers in their area and obtain scores that take into account the jobseeker's appropriate experience, distance of residence from workplace, and skills, A special website can automatically alert jobseekers to appropriate vacancies in their area, and it's not only for those who are claiming job seekers allowance.

In fact the Universal Jobmatch website has been criticised by some who fear it is being used as a means of identifying and sanctioning those not seeking work.