Oldest Known Photograph of Warrington.

algy

This is possibly the earlist photograph of the top end of Bridge Street taken 1855, meat hanging outside Shaw's butchers shop can be seen with Carters' watch and clock makers next door but one on the right with the clock set in the apex. Shortly after this photo was taken this row of shops were demolished.

1855Bridgestreet_zps83c13ca7.jpg

Lovely old photo Algy.  When you say top end of Bridge Street do you where the HSBC and skittles are now ?

Whenever I see your old photo's of Warrington, especially the town centre streets and shops, I always get a vision in my mind of my ancestors over quite a few generations walking that way or shopping there. 

They must have done all that especially the ones who lived in Domlans Lane, Mersey Street and the surrounding area.  I often wonder what they bought (if they could afford it), which pubs they went in (again if they could afford it), who they were with, what they taked about, what else they did that day or night and where the younger members of the family played etc etc ......

They are all things that I will NEVER know but without doubt I must have stepped on many of the exact (but invisible) 'footprints' left behind by many of mine made all those years ago.  

Yes I know I have a weird mind before anyone says :P  :oops:

Lovely old photo Algy.  When you say top end of Bridge Street do you where the HSBC and skittles are now ?

Whenever I see your old photo's of Warrington, especially the town centre streets and shops, I always get a vision in my mind of my ancestors over quite a few generations walking that way or shopping there. 

They must have done all that especially the ones who lived in Domlans Lane, Mersey Street and the surrounding area.  I often wonder what they bought (if they could afford it), which pubs they went in (again if they could afford it), who they were with, what they taked about, what else they did that day or night and where the younger members of the family played etc etc ......

They are all things that I will NEVER know but without doubt I must have stepped on many of the exact (but invisible) 'footprints' left behind by many of mine made all those years ago.  

Yes I know I have a weird mind before anyone says :P  :oops:

Dizz, the shops that you see in the photo were demolished to build Hodgkinsons, so you are not far off in your estimation, and if you have a weired mind regarding what you were describing then so do I, I often think of what life was like back in time, warts and all, life was far from what we know of it today, folk were starving, no work, little or no education for children living in town, no sewerage causing nasty smells, I think those poor people would change places with even the poorest people in the town today and think they were very well done to.

I think the same thoughts too Dizzy (although about my ancestors, not yours!) I think it was last year I went with my parents and children to have lunch in the Pickering Arms in Thelwall, it was really odd to think that my ancestors would've been drinking in there a couple of hundred years ago. It's kind of frustrating that I only found out my family history after moving away so I don't often get to walk down a street knowing that my ancestors have gone before me. 

Probably a lot of streets they walked down that you would not be able to now Tracey. Even in my time Warrington has changed so much from when i was a child. Many streets disappeared completely. A lot of quaint little shops gone. I remember I used to be fascinated when going into a shop with my mother or one of my older sisters, or, just looking in the shop windows. These days though there is no fascination in shopping in the town. Even the shop windows are so boring with very little that would make me stop in my tracks and step back to have another look .