1960's.

algy

Happy Day's

The Salvation Army band marching down Sankey Street, probably mid to late 60's, Fred dawes and VisionHire would have been in keen competion for the sale of the new Colour TV technology as regular transmission only started in the the UK in 1966, Eustances clock still displaying time to shoppers as it had since the 19th century. When they moved to Golden Square they offered the clock to any business that would display it, not one took up the offer, consequently it just disappeared never to be seen again!

phot4885_zps1ce65ba4.jpg

Stop me and buy one!

How many of you remember and bought an ice cream from this gentleman as he pedalled his Lewis's ice cream around the streets of warrington.

LewisIceCreamTrike_zpsc63b7b45.jpg

Rented my first color tv from that very shop - 19" I think on very spindly legs.  I always remember the smell in the wireless and tv stores, hot valves and tubes heating up plastic.    Also pretty sure I bought a cone or two from that guy - very memorable face.  Remember Lewis's ice cream shop in Church St ?

I remember Horobin's on Sankey St despite being a young whipper snapper  8) . I also remember Lewis's ice cream shop but only when it closed, I don't remember it being open for business. My Dad knew the Lewis family well, he's a mechanic and repaired their ice cream vans in the 70's. I have very fond memories of being taken around the factory on Bewsey Rd. 

The first photo brings back memories. I actually worked for Fred Dawes, as a TV engineer, in the 60's and I saw the first colour transmission in that very shop. I worked in the Fred Dawes repair department, which was in Golborne Street, directly opposite the shop. I also knew most of the Vision Hire staff at that time and am still in contact (via Christmas Cards) with one of their managers.  I remember Horrobins newsagent very well as I went in every Tuesday to buy the Angling Times.