Cromwell Avenue Speed Limit Signs.

algy

Driving along Cromwell Avenue from Sankey Way towards Gemini Retail Park yesterday I hadn't a clue what the speed limit was, I hadn't seen a speed limit sign along the avenue until I departed Gemini where I encountered one while driving toward Winwick Road, I am aware of the distance between lampost rule and when in doubt I do drive at 30 mph, probably much to the annoyance of drivers following me, tough!. Cromwell Avenue is not a road I use very often so wasn't aware of the legal limit, I checked on Google Street Map and there is one inconspicuouse 30 mph sign as you make a turn from Sankey way into Cromwell Ave. when you are concentrating on your turn or your view of the sign is blocked by a van or bus as mine was yesterday the sign was not visible to me, it would help if the sign was moved further along the avenue or more signs placed after each island, any views on the subject would be welcome.

ScreenShot001_zps1f057b08.jpg

Was aware of the ruling regards street lights. For those who are unsure, the speed limit is 30mph on any road with street lighting placed not more than 200 yards apart give or take a few yards..

As for upsetting drivers by sticking to the limit, The 20mph limits around town are ideal for that if you stick to them. 8)

There’s also a sign right down near the Winwick Road end (with a camera warning) but that’s about your lot. It’s one of those roads where the limit seems a bit low for the conditions so consequently the vast majority of drivers going down that way tend to be nearer 40 than 30. I know it’s awkward when you’re not too sure of the limits but IMO, the nature of the road in question and the speed of other drivers is usually a better indicator than counting lamp posts.

I drove down that way the other day in a long queue of cars all behind just one car that must have thought the limit was 26.5mph. Nobody actually tried to overtake but the amount of bunching and breaking going on was a clear indication that this one driver was creating huge frustration to other drivers. Personally, I tend to give such people the benefit of doubt, as they may be lost or maybe have some car issues. But at the same time, I know that there are those out there who believe it’s their God given right to bring everyone else into line with their style of driving.

I’m sure I’ve typed these exact words before. :roll:

Bill :)

There’s also a sign right down near the Winwick Road end (with a camera warning) but that’s about your lot. It’s one of those roads where the limit seems a bit low for the conditions so consequently the vast majority of drivers going down that way tend to be nearer 40 than 30. I know it’s awkward when you’re not too sure of the limits but IMO, the nature of the road in question and the speed of other drivers is usually a better indicator than counting lamp posts.

I drove down that way the other day in a long queue of cars all behind just one car that must have thought the limit was 26.5mph. Nobody actually tried to overtake but the amount of bunching and breaking going on was a clear indication that this one driver was creating huge frustration to other drivers. Personally, I tend to give such people the benefit of doubt, as they may be lost or maybe have some car issues. But at the same time, I know that there are those out there who believe it’s their God given right to bring everyone else into line with their style of driving.

I’m sure I’ve typed these exact words before. :roll:

Bill :)

What speed did you want to go at Bill?

Cromwell Avenue should be a 40 at least.... there are no houses directly fronting the road, wide verges with dedicated footpaths and cycle lanes (which we all know the likes of Rod think is beneath them to use of course) and the speed scamera is only there to raise revenue. There have been no accidents on that particular stretch that I am aware of and it is strategically placed to try and catch as many people as possible......

Too true Baz J

Cromwell avenue is a suitable 40 mph road.

The police are using the area for cash collecting 

They are indeed adding another place for their van on the Lingley green rd outside the United Utilities place.

This green are is being spoilt for another cycle tarmac that few cyclists will use.

All over the area the tarmac for cycle paths is bespoiling the greenery of the area and these paths are not used by many cyclists or people... merely a waste of money to meet some stupid politician's  ego  

About time the inhabitants of Lingley mere asked the council to widen the roads thereabout using the money from the development  ... oh sorry that money just disappeared somewhere 

• Upvote 1