Famous Warringtonians?

Rockcutting

Nick Tessla Thanks for Richmal Crompton, just found this http://www.stelphins.co.uk/images/Articles/Reflections%20May%202007/Article%20May%202007.pdf

When our son was at Pre-School (many years ago) the staff told me that they call him "Just William" .

I told them that we call him "The Savage",his name is William and he bites!

Are any of you able to help with  researching a former Mayor of Warrington?

Edward Tavlin 1943-44

Any help would be appreciated!

Nick Tessla Thanks for Richmal Crompton, just found this http://www.stelphins.co.uk/images/Articles/Reflections%20May%202007/Article%20May%202007.pdf

When our son was at Pre-School (many years ago) the staff told me that they call him "Just William" .

I told them that we call him "The Savage",his name is William and he bites!

Are any of you able to help with  researching a former Mayor of Warrington?

Edward Tavlin 1943-44

Any help would be appreciated!

There is a Tavlin Avenue in Dallam, but I don't know if it is named after said mayor or coincidence.

Hiya Nosy (sorry) Tracy.

I don't know if he did anything interesting. Trying to find out. and why P.J.do you not think that Tavlin Avenue would not have been named for a former Mayor of our Town?

I didnt realise that I had said that, only that I didn't KNOW if it was named after this mayor or somebody else with the same surname.  Do you know?

Sorry PJ. I think Tavlin Avenue is named after Edward Tavlin mayor of Warrington 1943/4

I think it is a safe bet given that most of the streets around that part of Dallam have names of former Mayors.  So what makes the hitherto anonymous Mr. Tavlin a special case for you Rockcutter, is he a relative?

No not a relative of mine, but I am trying to research the area of Hillcliffe for a possible publication.........some time in the future (I never realised when I started on this project how difficult it was going to be) and there is a connection between Alderman Tarvin and this area of Warrington.

The connection is tenuous, but  (hey) I'm clutching at straws here.

Any help about this, from anyone, would be gratefully appreciated.

(Which other former mayors of Warrington have streets named after them for example?).

RC....

like PJ and Cleo have already mentioned many roads across Warrington were named after Mayors so Tavlin is not special in that way. 

Many others were named after councillors, industry owners who brought trade to the area, land surveyors, house builders and other dignatories too.

In Latchford alone for example

Bolton Avenue - named after Alderman William Bolton.  Bolton Council School in Latchford was also named after him

Bowman Avenue - named after George Bowman who was a magistrate.  Later on he became vice president of the liberal club 

Burgess Avenue - named after Dr John Burgess, a past Mayor of Warrington (1860 to 1862) and a justice of the peace.

Lindles Avenue - named after Alderman Lindley who was first elected as a labour councillor for the town hall ward in 1913 (he lived in Bewsey)

Chantler Avenue - named after Cllr Thomas Chantler (represented howley ward [conservative] 1913)

Davies Avenue - named after Joseph Davies mayor of warrington 1871/2/3

There are many more and some were even named after parish council clerks too but I realise I'm starting to sound a bit boring now so I wont list any more. :oops:  Blame it on my mum as we came across more of her local history books today in a box and one is all about the origin of street names in Latchord    (compiled and published by the Latchford History Society)

As for your Mayor Tavlin... I can't really find anything about him so far but I have only googled his name.  As he was only in office for a year perhaps he didn't have much impact or do a lot worth noting (similar to todays mayors ha ha).   Maybe there were not many changes made to Warrington around the time he was in office hence the lack of mention unlike the much earlier mayors such as Arthur Bennett for example who's work is often mentioned in books and the likes.   

Do you have any other info about Tavlin so wecan broaden the search a bit ?

• 2 weeks later...

This is all good stuff, thank's guys and gals (sorry not very pc at the moment) but where do you all find this information?

The only reason I wanted to find info. on Mayor Tavlin is because I am trying to research, as I may have mentioned before, the very small local area of Hillcliffe in Warrington.

His brother lived here in the '40s.

Very tenuous I know but not much seems ever to have happened here worth writing about.

...........Unless any of you know any different..........?