School places shortage ?

observer

Called at one only today, to pick my informant up - and asked her just how many "foreign" kids were now in the school; her estimate was around 50%.

...there was a stall in the old fish market last week, selling fruit & toffees etc. It had an Italian flag, so I thought I'd try out some basic Italian for my Hols; the guys behind the stall just looked blank.  "We're not Italians" says one, "we're Persian"...

Crikey, obs, is there a minute of your (or your family's) existence where you're not playing Spot the Immigrant?

Poor you.

Called at one only today, to pick my informant up - and asked her just how many "foreign" kids were now in the school; her estimate was around 50%.

Ok so if there are two "foreign kids" at the school and one was off sick with flu then fifty percent would be in school. Percentages are great ways of fiddling the figures.

Now if you had said there were a hundred foreign kids and fifty were off school then that would be different.

So Obs proof that 50% of kids in schools don't have English as a first language is a couple of Iranians who don't have Italian as their first language?

What Obs hasn't pointed out is that the other 50% of kids  in all our primary schools are actually Dwarfs in disguise as they are  actually North Korean spies.

Called at one only today, to pick my informant up - and asked her just how many "foreign" kids were now in the school; her estimate was around 50%. Does help to know what's actually going on Kije ! :lol:

Seems unlikely given that the population of Warrington is near enough 98% white British

Kije, do you actually get out and about? If you do, do you keep your eyes and ears open?  We have a little game when in Town, called guess the language as your passing conversations!  And just a little anecdote for you, there was a stall in the old fish market last week, selling fruit & toffees etc. It had an Italian flag, so I thought I'd try out some basic Italian for my Hols; the guys behind the stall just looked blank.  "We're not Italians" says one, "we're Persian"; presume that meant Iranian and the languge would be Farsi?! 

A little anecdote that you made up? You asked a question in Italian, the answer was "We're .......Persian" in Farsi and you understood it.

The Italian flag has vertical stripes but the Iranian has horizintal stripes, the name Persia disappeared in 1979 and it is doubtful any Iranians would use it.

5/10 must try harder. 

Seems the luvvies prefer to sleep walk into the future, oblivious to their surroundings.

Oh noes, it's the "Luvvy" gambit!

If that's aimed at me and other right thinking people (dyswidt?), then you're absolutely right, I would (despite the obvious risks) rather be sleepwalking than living my life in constant fear of hoards of demonic tormentors pinching my desk.