School places shortage ?

observer

It works out at about ten places per school in England.

If there are five classes for each year grouping then that works out at two places per class per school.

This is based on the  figure quoted of 250,000 divided by the number of schools in England from the D of E website which quotes a figure of 24,372 schools in England.

So increasing the class size by two place would eliminate the problem would it not. not sure what the figures are for Scotland, Wales and Ireland are though as I just looked for UK and came up with the figures for England.

Desks!!!?

We used to dream about having our own desk when we were....(cont'd on page 94)

It's worse than you could ever imagine, obs: we're being invaded by benefit-seeking forrin scroungers and you can't even tell who they are because they speak better English than what we do and you can't tell they're foreign just by looking at them 'cos they're, well, white!

</wibble>

Perhaps the forum numpty would like them all to wear something to distinguish them from the real humans, maybe a yellow star???

• Upvote 1

I am currently working on a contract at every primary school in the town and I can say that the percentage of forrin kids is nowhere near to 50% in any of them, but don't let the fact get in the way of your deluded crap Observer, like Kije says, you are lying if you are really trying to claim that. I haven't been to one where I have noticed more than a very small minority.

Just to ask a question without being classed as an idiot, But how can you tell which kids are foreign and by that I mean not born in this country and which kids are not?

I may be wrong (and it is quite surprising how often I am these days) but my understanding is that anybody born in this country is English or British no matter what country the parents originally came from.

I do appreciate a comment made that English may be a second language for some but that may well be down to the fact that the parents want to preserve their own language in the home environment.

As a point I once worked with a lad who you would say was Chinese as soon as you looked at him and heard him talk. He was born in Warrington and could barely speak more than a few phrases in Chinese. His parents were fluent in both Chinese and English and his grand parents could understand only a few basic words of English. as a results if he wanted to have any sort of conversation with his grandparents he would ask one of his parents to translate.

So yes, English may be a second language but there may be also a very good reason why.

Called at one only today, to pick my informant up

Can we expect the following "Stranger Danger" Alert to be circulated by schools and the Police -

Strange man was seen outside a school riding a hobby-horse, , while gesticulating wildly, and waving a hand-written sign  that said-" Buy My buk - what I rote and printed  -The EU ate my Hamster" 

:P

Kije, do you actually get out and about? If you do, do you keep your eyes and ears open?  We have a little game when in Town, called guess the language as your passing conversations!  And just a little anecdote for you, there was a stall in the old fish market last week, selling fruit & toffees etc. It had an Italian flag, so I thought I'd try out some basic Italian for my Hols; the guys behind the stall just looked blank.  "We're not Italians" says one, "we're Persian"; presume that meant Iranian and the languge would be Farsi?! 

In which case, you'll be able to explain the presence of 3 Iranians?  Not sure, but I don't think they were here as tourists or as students (on visas), and I don't think "stall holder" is classed as a required profession - and of course, Iran isn't yet a member of the EU !