New Pope

asperity

You forget Obs, we are a Protestant Country, Argentina on the other hand is Catholic, The Pope is more likely to support Argentina than the UK, and given that he is from that Country we can take it as given. The Queen is head of the Protestant religion in the UK and some of her family fought in the War, So religion being on the side line has kind of gone out the window anyway. I would have fought that an Argentinean Pope would take the side of his homeland, as much as our Queen did as head of the Protestant faithful on our side.

The Pope is of course entitled to hold and express personal opinions - as long as he makes it clear that he is talking as an individual not as a clergyman - particularly not a senior one. Many people would confuse the views expressed by a high ranking catholic priest, which he was at the time, with being religious views - with being backed by the catholic church - a dangerous state of affairs. There is an unfortunate history of wars started and atrocities committed with the perpetrators being convinced they have god on their side.

To make such comments in the course of a religious ceremony is, at best , irresponsible. To have someone apparently so lacking in either awareness, or ethical considerations, as the head of this powerful multi-national organisation is concerning.  

There will be those who wondered if he should have been more vocal about what was going n in his own country over the years, rather than supporting  such jingoistic causes and apparently speaking in favour of aggressive military acts.

I just hope that he does not repeat such statements in his new job - regardless of whether he claims such political statements as being infallible ( I believe ex cathedra is the term ) - there will be many who believe that they reflect the divine will of God.

The Queen isn't the senior cleric in the CofE, that's the ArchBishop of Canterbury.  Unfortunately, some religious believers will take the personal opinions of these clerics as gospel, and ultimately a justification for war. You only have to look around the World's trouble spots to realise that.

The Queen is Head of State, and as such has every right, indeed responsibilty, to represent the interest of her subjects (including those in Crown Protectorates). Henry VIII pulled out of the last European Union, by severing links with the Papacy and taking over as Head of the CofE, but he wasn't, by far, a cleric, merely the nominal head. The Pope is an elected cleric (a holy man!), God's representative on Earth and reputedley infallable.

Hell's bells observer! Is there a God or not (IYO) ? First you are saying you don't believe there is then you are saying the Pope is God's representative on earth.

Actually, how can he be God's representative when he was elected by a few cardinals at the Vatican,  not by God. God elects his own representatives. It would be more accurate to say the pope is the representative of the catholic church as a whole.

Hell's bells observer! Is there a God or not (IYO) ? First you are saying you don't believe there is then you are saying the Pope is God's representative on earth.

Actually, how can he be God's representative when he was elected by a few cardinals at the Vatican,  not by God. God elects his own representatives. It would be more accurate to say the pope is the representative of the catholic church as a whole.

How does he do that then?  I'm sure it would have made the news if he had.

Total eclipse of the sun, flashes of lightning, claps of thunder,  beams of light from rhe heavens, doves descending from the heavens and a thunderous voice from out of the sky - THIS IS FRANCES IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED AND CHOOSE TO BE THE NEXT POPE AND MY REPRESENTIVE ON EARTH. LISTEN TO HIM AND OBEY HIS COMMANDS YOU GODLESS  RABBLE! :lol:

Or he could just have a quite spiritual word with the people doing the electing to say that this is the guy I want put your X in his box on the paper.

Bit like electing a prime minister in a way. Only the elite few get to say who will be elected from their membership.

So he doesn't  then.

No he didn't. Like I said a few cardinals got together, around a long round table, had a chat, threw a few shoes at each other, played 'chase me' around the table, called each other a few choice names then decided it's going to be Francis for pope. God had no say in it. Probably turned up late for the meeting and the swiss guards said. You overslept or something mate as you are still in your nightgown? Sorry mate but you can't go in now, the election has already started.

Looking at the size of the man the rest of the candidates daren't argue with him, he might of had a word with Pope Benedict " listen Ben mate isn't it time you put your feet up and enjoyed your final years cos' if you don't you might pop off pretty quick, you know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge!. :D:wink: