Bedroom Tax .

Davy51

We are  hearing today about limited exclusions regarding bedroom tax in relation to benefit claimants if they are deemed to have spare bedroom capacity. It seems may be the biggest exceptions to this tax & which are not seen as part of the problem are the second homes of MPs & the numerous royal residences that are occupied for only part of the year but are still costing the taxpayer millions to run.I wonder how many spare bedrooms these mansions have ?

I see the government has also suddenly realised that it doesn't work to trust benefit claimants to be responsible enough to pay their own rents. Trials in South Wales have left tenants with massive rent arrears as they have used the money for other needs as opposed to paying landlords. These people in government may be wealthy & influential but they sure are lacking in the intelligence stakes !

Obs.... people in private houses with mortgages do not generally get benefits from taxes to pay their mortgage and pay for their spare rooms themselves.... unlike people in rented accomodation on housing benefits who are paid to have spare rooms by taxpayers like me

Don't think they're "paid to have spare rooms" Baz; presume most are allocated a house after waiting on the list, many will have had families that have grown up and left, leaving the property under-occupied. SO, the answer is to have social housing available for them to downsize, thus allowing a family to occupy the house.

I think the only fair way to go about this is to have it written in the original contract (I assume that when people get housing benefit there is some form of contract signed) that should the number of persons to be housed under the contract change (up or down) then either party should have the right to demand a change of property size. Retrospective measures like this don't tend to work out.