Frog Hall

Rockcutting

I looked at that plot Algy and have to admit I discounted it as a possibility as the plot details weren't recorded, those you quote are from the larger plot next door (with 2 long buildings on it, edged by Rolleston St). 

I managed to find James Marsh on the 1871 Census and his address is Rolleston St and his occupation is listed as "income derived from house rents". Can't seem to see any other house that looks a likely candidate for a 'Hall'. I'm now wondering whether it was actually an uninhabited village hall/function room type of thing but the main puzzle is why it would be there so long as be so significant as to have a street named after it, yet seem to leave no historical record? It's all very odd. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extract from Warrington and the Mid - Mersey Velley by G A Carter page 100:

"The purchase of property for the construction of this part of the Cheshire Lines Railway also resulted in the demolition of a building that gave it's rather intriguing name to Frog Hall Lane. This building is shown un - named on the 1772 Map but on the 1851 OS Map the same building is named "Frog Hall".

Frog Hall evidently existed long before the 1772 Map was compiled however for an Indenture dated June 5th 1733 between George, Earl of Warrington and and Mathew Lyon shows that among other properties sold by the Earl to Mathew Lyon was a "Messuage or Tenement commonly called Froghall together with the Close or field thereto adjoining and belonging, situate and being on Warrington Heath within Warrington aforesaid late in the possession of Mathew Jenkinson, Husbandman and Tenant to the said Mathew Lyon".

This indenture gives us therefore the name and description of one tenant of Frog Hall but unfortunately all attempts to discover subsequent occupiers until the Hall was demolished in order to make way for the railway have so far failed."

This book was published in 1971 and is my bible for pre 1974 Warrington which is the Warrington I remember.

Strongly recommended and was noticed by my wife for £7 on the Internet when copies were (are) fetching far more. Before gettng my own copy I had it on extended periods from the local library and never tire of reading it though until today had not looked at it for quite a while.

Peridot

Thanks for that Peridot, I order a copy yesterday after you mentioned it. I remember getting that book out of the library years and years ago, will be good to have my own copy. 

Fascinating information, I'm guessing the status of the hall was diminished by the Victorian era, maybe even derelict or something. So frustrating that so little is recorded of it. 

It should not be assumed that the "hall" bit refers to a building (at  least not originally) - other derivations in place names include nook of land , and may be related to the old English " halh" - which can be used to describe land in a hollow or riverbend, or an area of  dry land in a marsh - which would seem to fit in with the frog connection.

Certainly place names that appear to have obvious meanings may on research prove to be as Nick say, totally different to the first impression, I was convinced that 'Dungeon Lane' off Broad Lane in Grappenhall had something to do with a place of containment, whereas dungeon may mean 'marshy land'.

Fascinating info Peridot1

Seems we are not the only ones to have failed in finding out who occupied the hall then which makes me feel better. 

I was just setting off to the library to borrow a copy of the book you mention as it sounds really interesting but having just checked to see that it's not out on loan it appears that all 10 copies are 'reference only' now and can't be borrowed.  I'm a tad frustrated  :( 

Nick T, you could be right there especially considering that Peridot's info shows it dating back to the 1700's.

Algy, the land ownership details you have put with your tithe map image above are incorrect as the Frog Hall building and small parcel of land it is shown sitting on have no ownership details on the title apportionment docs.  The ones you have posted are for the larger plot of land to the right of it :wink:   Hope you don't mind me saying :oops:

Not much use but there is also a 'Froghall Field' shown on the tithe map ......

FHField_zps265ea1c1.jpg

I also marked 'White Crop Wire and Iron Company' which is shown on the Tithe (1839-51) with the land owner being Lord Winmarleigh & White Crop Wire and Iron Company.  Without wanting to take this topic off on a tangent....... anyone know if it was called that or should it read White Cross Wire.... ?  

No problem you mentioning land ownership Dizz. I have looked in trade directories 1828/9 and 1857 and no sign of a White Crop Wire & Iron Co. White Cross was the area over Bank Quay railway bridge called White Cross Bank where the White Cross works took it's name from, quite a distance from Foghall Lane. in the 1871 Worral's Trade Directory there is this entry:-

Warrington Wire Iron Co., Ltd.

Bewsey Iron Works.

I rather suspect it should be Whitecross. Do you know how Whitecross got it's name?

Way back when people died it was rather a long distance to transport the body to the burial ground so they would rest up at an establishment before continuing the journey. The establishment had a white cross to indicate the place to rest. That's it in a nutshell.

As i remember ,Whitecross  ,before its closure , occupied land in Milner St  & in Froghall Lane between Froghall bridge where it crosses the West Coast line & going back towards Priestley Street. I don't know how long the works had been there but it was very old apart from 36 Mill in Milner St which opened in 1936.

Good info Flo!.

In the 1871 directory I found a James Biddel, Wire Drawer who lived at 11. White Cross Terrace, Froghall Lane, also the area at the west side of Froghall railway bridge by Brierley and Keen Streets by the rail track was known as White Cross Wharf.

Thanks Algy. I don't know how you keep getting me mixed up with Baz. He will be quite offended.

Did you know there is another Yew Tree farm at the side of the prison near the Thorn? I bought a Lab puppy from there in the early 60's. now that is a thread hijack.lol