Frog Hall

Rockcutting

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was let off with a caution but do any of you know anything about this?

Not knowing what the offence was or you p[ersonally I can say that I know nothing about it.(sorry could not resist)

As for Frog Hall i am sure that some time back (probably years knowing my memory) there was a thread in which it was discussed. No doubt our esteemed? experts? will come up trumps on this one. As a youngster growing up in the area I always wondered if it was a rival to toad hall but that is kids for you.

I tried last night and today and can't find anything at all other than what you already have Algy and that Frog Hall was close to the railway bridge (according to H Wells). 

Nothing on the 1841 or 1851 census for that area and it's not mentioned on the enumerators front sheets where they show the directions to walk.  Froghall lane only seems to have had a few houses on it anyway although there .

Comparing the 1831-51 tithe map with your map the road that Frog Hall was on looks to have been Rolleston Street in that time frame although I can't find Rolleston on the 41/51 census sheets or the enumerators cover sheet directions either even though it still exists today so I guess no one lived there.  It used to be a straight road but then got changed and Rolleston is now curved and the top part of the road is now Paul Street. 

It's starting to bug me now...

I saw the other posts Algy and I mentioned Rolleston.... are you playing mind games with me :lol:

Frog Hall is on the 1849 map too but it seems to have another word after it and 3 others below but for the life of me I can't read what they say. Can you have a look and see if you can read it as it might be clearer on your pc :)  Ta

Dizzy beat me to it! I've been looking through the Census records too and also couldn't find anything. Google hasn't helped, or the few history books I have here. Looking at Algy's first picture again, I'm wondering if could actually be a small row of terraced houses rather than a hall in the true sense?

I saw the other posts Algy and I mentioned Rolleston.... are you playing mind games with me :lol:

Frog Hall is on the 1849 map too but it seems to have another word after it and 3 others below but for the life of me I can't read what they say. Can you have a look and see if you can read it as it might be clearer on your pc :)  Ta

Sorry Dizz, we must have been posting at the same time and you just beat me to it :lol: . Sorry I can't make them out either, the lower print, the nearest I can get is "Joe Brown" and somehow I don't think that's correct do you. :wacko:

Frog Hall disappeared when the Cheshire Lines Railway was built and seems to have stood roughly at the junction of Kendrick Street and Crosfield Street where the railway embankment and bridge over Froghall Lane is. Little appears to be known about it although there is a short passage about it when Froghall Lane and it's name is discussed in Warrington and the Mid - Mersey Valley by G A Carter. Certainly no photographs exist though it would have been demolished about 1884.

Peridot

It was nosey Cleo who asked what your caution was for RC not me....... I'm far too polite to ask things like that  :wink::lol:

The sort of info I find is usually by looking at the things like the old Tithe Maps (1831-51) which are available to view on the 'Cheshire Archives and Local Studies' website here.  You just type in the postcode or township of wherever you want to look then you can compare the Tithe Maps with modern day maps or Ordanance Survey maps of 1875 / 1910 etc side by side and also aerial views from the 70's / 2000 (where available) and you can also click to view landowners and occupiers at the time of the Title Map and land use etc etc.  It's really addictive 

Here's the link http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

I also have a membership with Ancestry and Find My Past but they are a bit costly but I can't get myself to cancel them (don't tell my other half) 

I also use the old maps website that Algy uses and of course googling often comes up with all sorts of info too (but sadly not in the case of Frog Hall... damn !!.)

I'm sure others probably know of more places to look for info too but that's what I usually use 

All in all though most things on here just get figured out / found out because of forum members knowledge and team work and boy is it addictive and fascinating at times although I must admit some of us (well ok me) do tend to become obsessed by a sudden 'need to know' and it sort of takes over from normal life :lol:  

Frog Hall disappeared when the Cheshire Lines Railway was built and seems to have stood roughly at the junction of Kendrick Street and Crosfield Street where the railway embankment and bridge over Froghall Lane is. Little appears to be known about it although there is a short passage about it when Froghall Lane and it's name is discussed in Warrington and the Mid - Mersey Valley by G A Carter. Certainly no photographs exist though it would have been demolished about 1884.

Peridot

Nice one Peridot although that's really confused me now. 

Are you sure it was at the Junction of Kendrick and Crossfield Street ?  From Algys 1851 map where it is named and also the 1849 one I saw it definatly looks to have been on the Frog Hall Lane / Rolleston Street junction rather than next to the Frog Hall Lane Railway Bridge and embankment further to the left which are also shown. 

What does it say in the book you mention ?  Was it an hall (like a large house) or a hall (like a village hall or similar).  If it was the latter then that would explain why we me and Tracey couldn't find it on the census records.  I might have a look at some later ones leading up to when you say it was demolished.

One think is for sure though.... 'Frog Hall' its a daft name :lol:

:lol: :lol: Maybe that's why it doesn't appear don't appear on the census lists...... they all vacated the premises for a few weeks to avoid the enumerator so that there would be no record of a family name and  association and so no jokes further down the line. Maybe the family who originally lived there were the 'Ribbets', 'Hoppers' or 'Croakers' and that's how the hall got it's name.  Should I look ?  :lol:

My Aunt used to live in the large house directly across from that junction (the other acute angle) and possibly my cousin may still live there if he inherited the house. Maybe living so close, he may have some info on this, I'll have to ask him.

Bill :)

All in all though most things on here just get figured out / found out because of forum members knowledge and team work and boy is it addictive and fascinating at times although I must admit some of us (well ok me) do tend to become obsessed by a sudden 'need to know' and it sort of takes over from normal life :lol:  

Very true! How did you manage to turn up the 1831/51 tithe map? When I searched it was from 1878 which is an unusually late date and the hall is gone by then.

Peridot is correct I had Frog Hall in the wrong area (Not rolleston Street), here are the maps including the corrected 1963 map.

The Plot was owned by:-

Township:

Warrington

Parish:

Warrington

Plot №:

486a

Owner:

Lord Winmarleigh, James Marsh

Occupier:

James Marsh

Plot Name: