Hill Cliffe. Help please?

Rockcutting

Thank you for the explaination of copyright laws. I think that Warrington Borough Council may, for whatever reason, have thought of this before.

They seem to have continuously copyrighted ancient photographs in their collection.

I guess that the reason for this is that they make money from selling them to commercial publishers and/or nostalgic film producers.

Warrington Peeps in the Past for example.

I may be wrong about this but having looked at the Warrington Library Flickr site all of the photos there have a copyright warning.

I think that this is not the way WBC should be dealing with their archives.

My opinion is that Warrington Council and Library should be doing more to make all of this open to public research.

Any opinions about this ?

• 4 months later...

Hello Rockcutting,  I have recently seen, on the 1911 Census, that Architect, Surveyor and Valuer  Segar Owen lived at Kelmscott, Firs Lane, Appleton. He was one of the Architects responsible for some of the buildings at Port Sunlight.

He was in partnership with his father, William Owen, in Cairo Street Chambers, Warrington.

Segar Owen died in 1929.

Kelmscott is now 'The Foxes' Firs Lane, Appleton.

http://archiseek.com/tag/segar-owen

I have just seen on Wikipedia that in St Elphin's Church, Warrington, there is the 1908 West End organ screen by William and Segar Owen which is very elaborate.

It is worthy of a visit, even thought the organ pipes it houses are no longer in use - the speakers for the present Phoenix digital organ are within the screen.

Another example of their work in Warrington is the scan Warrington Technical School .0001.pdfTechnical School in Palmyra Square South.

Welcome to the forum Hill Cliff Walker.

Interesting about Segar Owen.  I didn't know he had lived around here.

William and Segar Owen were the architects of Mullberry Tree pub in Stockton Heath too and I seem to recall that they also did the large Victoria Building/Hotel/Hilal opposite which was knocked down and rebuit as bars/restaurants etc.

• 4 years later...

Hello!

I've stumbled across this thread while trying to find out about Hill Cliffe. All I know is my grandmother was in service there, possibly around 1916-24, so I presume it's a hall of some kind? My grandfather was a driver for the Coopers (?), who may have owned Hill Cliffe, which is how he met my grandmother. I am struggling to find out anything about the building, and Algy's photos have tantalisingly disappeared. Please can anyone help?

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Millie French said:

Hello!

I've stumbled across this thread while trying to find out about Hill Cliffe. All I know is my grandmother was in service there, possibly around 1916-24, so I presume it's a hall of some kind? My grandfather was a driver for the Coopers (?), who may have owned Hill Cliffe, which is how he met my grandmother. I am struggling to find out anything about the building, and Algy's photos have tantalisingly disappeared. Please can anyone help?

Many thanks

Hello Millie. Hill Cliffe is not the name of a house, but the name of a district which is South of Stockton Heath.

There would have been several business people of substance who lived in this area. Have you any more info about your Grandfather ?

Hi Hill Cliffe walker,

And thanks for such a swift response! 

I understand my grandmother was in service at Hill Cliffe (hence thought it was the name of a property) and I think my grandfather was a driver for FW Cooper, the man who owned the steel works (my grandfather was later an ambulance driver actually for the steel works). I suspect they met because she worked for Mr Cooper at his residence, so presumably it was at Hill Cliffe. I found a snippet in Who's Who of 1922 which gives his address as Hill Cliffe, Stockton Heath. Would you know of the house, whether it is still standing and where?

Many, many thanks,

Millie

There was a large hotel called the Hill Cliffe Hydro that may have previously been a large mansion house.

I only vaguely remember the place but I think it closed down sometime around the mid eighties and I think has now been demolished. Maybe a bit of Googling on the Hydro will bring something up. I did find an image on Facebook but it wont display here.

Good luck.

Bill :)

There is a topic relating to the Hill Cliffe Hydro by a member called 'Byrdy' - "2,000 years before the Hillcliffe Hydro Hotel was built,the place was a spa used by the Roman Legions.The water was reported to have magical properties,so powerfull that the top centurions from Chester(Deva),would pay a years salary to be posted to Warrington so that they could bath in the Hillcliffe spa.To this day there are bottles of the water from Hillcliffe in the Rome museum". 

In one of the posts a member states that the hotel was still operating in the 1980's.

Hillcliffe%20Hydro_zpszlvtqmrx.jpg

Millie, you are almost  correct in your assumption that the house was called Hill Cliffe in this map of 1882 it was a private house simply called 'Hill Cliff House' (the letter 'e' had been dropped from House on this map) I believe the Hydro was added when it became a hotel to attract custom perhaps in their belief that it was a spa.1882._zpstwvtsjki.jpg

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

Didn't the road that led to Hill Cliff have fairly deep sandstone side  & was full of potholes ? I seem to remember venturing up the road in the 70s when i drove the road sweeper in the area....i didn't venture there again.

Firs Lane - The road is still the same, Davy. Even when walking on it, you need to tread carefully.

Jacob's Well 4.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/8/2013 at 4:29 PM, Rockcutting said:

Hello I live near the "rock cutting" in Hill Cliffe Appleton. I know, from reading some of the previous forum posts, that some of you think this is a creepy place. It is not. Infact there is a lot of interesting and unrecorded history associated with this area and I am part way through researching and recording this. I know about the resurectionists and history of Bellefields and Hill Cliffe burial ground. I have also spoken to and recorded the memories of some of the older local residents but I wonder if any of you may be able to give me pointers to any other items of interest concerning this area? My intention is to publish this as some sort of pamphlet/booklet with any profits going to local charities and any losses coming from my pocket (perhaps Gary will give me a discount for printing it?). Seriously any help, at all, would be very much appreciated.