Legal Aid

Lt Kije

Social welfare, dept, employment, clinical negligence, divorce, housing and more to be completely knocked off, looks more like an attack on the poor. Perhaps they don't deserve justice as they to poor. Perhaps we should call them surfs and take all their rights away.

But I do "give a crap" for OUR OWN Nationals Kije; imo legal aid should be available to all OUR Nationals; with perhaps the exception of convicted prisoners launching numerous spurious and vexatious appeals up to the ECHR. As for immigrants, it might make it easier to deport them asap; without a bevvy of HR lawyers pleading for "their rights to a family life through the ECHR" or bogus assylum claims.

When premier league footballers can get legal aid.... the system definately needs changing. Assylum seekers should not qualify for legal aid... if the doo gooder lawyers want to represent them, let them do it for nowt.

Prisoners.... definately agree that they should not get legal aid and especially those foreign prisoners facing deportation....

Of course the aid being cut is Civil Legal Aid and not Criminal Legal Aid.... so if you are accused of a crime you can still qualify... it is cases which don't go to Crown Court; such as divorce and financial cases that are being cut

• Upvote 1

When premier league footballers can get legal aid.... the system definately needs changing. Assylum seekers should not qualify for legal aid... if the doo gooder lawyers want to represent them, let them do it for nowt.

Prisoners.... definately agree that they should not get legal aid and especially those foreign prisoners facing deportation....

Of course the aid being cut is Civil Legal Aid and not Criminal Legal Aid.... so if you are accused of a crime you can still qualify... it is cases which don't go to Crown Court; such as divorce and financial cases that are being cut

So a genuine asylum seeker who may have difficulty with the language - not to mention a lack of understanding of the law and , indeed, a fear of authority (based in his experiences in his own country) should not have some assistance.

Prisoners should not get representation either - do you mean those who are appealing against their sentence or conviction? Let's really speed up the process, and save money, and not have those accused of crimes represented either.

We could twin the old bailey with courts in Minsk, Harare and Pyongyang.

I should hope we are better than that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So a genuine asylum seeker who may have difficulty with the language - not to mention a lack of understanding of the law and , indeed, a fear of authority (based in his experiences in his own country) should not have some assistance.

No.... because no doubt this "genuine assylum seeker" has passed through countless other free and non-violent countries on their way to Great Britain.... the land of milk and money

Prisoners should not get representation either - do you mean those who are appealing against their sentence or conviction? Let's really speed up the process, and save money, and not have those accused of crimes represented either.

Appealing against sentences is criminal courts Nick and so are not affected by this.... as for the second part... just being silly now

We could twin the old bailey with courts in Minsk, Harare and Pyongyang.

It is about saving money from the legal aid bill... if people want to get divorced they should fund it themselves. They can live apart; don't cost any money then does it?

I should hope we are better than that.

Some people obviously think they are and think we should be the dumping ground for every sob story on the planet....

No.... because no doubt this "genuine assylum seeker" has passed through countless other free and non-violent countries on their way to Great Britain.... the land of milk and money

Appealing against sentences is criminal courts Nick and so are not affected by this.... as for the second part... just being silly now

It is about saving money from the legal aid bill... if people want to get divorced they should fund it themselves. They can live apart; don't cost any money then does it?

Some people obviously think they are and think we should be the dumping ground for every sob story on the planet....

Baz - not every asylum seeker falls into that category, no matter how inconvenient that may be to you.

You're the one who raised the issue of prisoners, so please clarify do you think those appealing against convictions (and in the real world some are convicted wrongly) should receive no assistance or do you think someone who is innocent until proven guilty should not receive assistance? Perhaps you would just like to withdraw your remark about prisoners - or do you think the Old Bailey should be twinned with the courts mentioned?

How many decades should someone stay married when their relationship breaks down - and what if they want to remarry and who decides on such little matters as dividing up the property or insignificant matters such as kids.

Nick....

Assylum seekers by their very nature (with only a very tiny minority that may get here on a plane) pass through multiple "friendly" countries before they get to Britain.... they have to; we are an island!!

You are obviouly not familiar with the distinction between criminal and Civil cases otherwise you wouldn't keep asking.... prisoners appealing sentences fall under criminal courts and are not affected by the cuts in legal aid... prisoners appealing deportation or fighting over child custody or whatever is a civil matter and is affected by the cuts!

Paying for people to get divorced should'nt be down to me..... I don't have to pay when they get married!

You are obviouly not familiar with the distinction between criminal and Civil cases otherwise you wouldn't keep asking.... prisoners appealing sentences fall under criminal courts and are not affected by the cuts in legal aid... prisoners appealing deportation or fighting over child custody or whatever is a civil matter and is affected by the cuts!

You are obviously not familiar with many things - including what you posted

Please note "especially" - so not just those fighting deportation - you can understand my confusion as you yourself appear confused about what you meant

You are obviously not familiar with many things - including what you posted

You talk in more riddles than Kije.... when I posted, I was unaware that earlier today Chris Grayling had announced cuts to criminal Legal Aid.... up until then, I was quite aware that civil cases did not involve criminals fighting criminal charges by using legal aid.... although I like the idea of selling guilty defendants possessions to pay for their legal aid bills if they are found guilty....

Please note "especially" - so not just those fighting deportation - you can understand my confusion as you yourself appear confused about what you meant

Prisoners in jail can at the moment fight civil cases from behind bars and claim legal aid for doing so.... where is the confusion? I don't agree with that and I ESPECIALLY do not agree with legal aid for foreign criminals fighting deportation cases.... I understand perfectly what I mean

Just for interest: the Dublin Convention on Assylum, agreed that refuge should be sought in "the next nearest safe Country" to the one being escaped from - that suggests that the UK should be assylum seeker free, unless we count folk fleeing the French or Irish Governments !   This would suggest that illegal immigrants entering Europe via Spain from W/Africa, Italy from N/Africa or from Afghanistan & M/East via Turkey & Greece AND then making their way to the Island of Benefit Bounty (UK), arn't genuine assylum seekers, but economic migrants; with sufficient savvy or contacts to hook up with HR lawyers over here to tie up our courts system with bogus assylum appeal cases, AND get the indigenous tax-payers to pay for the privilage. They're taking the p**s.

• Upvote 1