The Queen.

observer

Chances are the real Queen did say that or something like it - when her sister had to be told not to marry?? How about when she knew her husband was fooling around on her - she didn't act like a wife - she thought of her duty to her country and covered them up??

I like what Helen Mirren said at the pre-oscar interviews - someone told her she was a Movie Star and she said, "heavens no, I am a film actress but never a movie star."

I am glad she got an oscar! She deserves it.

[ 27.02.2007, 23:12: Message edited by: Mary ]

Originally posted by jerry:

What more is available? I equate Dames with Knights as in Dame Diana Rigg and Sir Alec Guinness. The late Lawrence Olivier became a Lord, (a baron?) -- but I've never known about feminine equivalents.

It is all very complicated Jerry, the upshot is that Dame = Sir, and for basic Lords, Baroness = Baron. Point of interest, when a man becomes Sir, i.e. Knighted, his wife becomes Lady not Dame, no such thing if the woman becomes a Dame, her husband stays as Mr.

Many years ago Helen Mirren was very good in the classic British gangster film, Long Good Friday.....London gangster/US Mafia/IRA

[ 28.02.2007, 08:11: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

The Long Good Friday (1982)

Starring: Paul Freeman, Leo Dolan Director: John Mackenzie Rating R

First Line: Colin: Two large Bushmills, please, darlin'.

(50 customer reviews)

List Price: $19.98

Price: $11.47 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

You Save: $8.51 (43%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Thursday, March 1? Order it in the next 4 hours and 10 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

50 use

A film from 27 years ago with Mirren, Hoskins, and Pierce Brosnan!!!! It's a must see! The review I saw said it's been viewed many, many times in the UK, but never got circulated much over here. Thanks.

I've seen Hoskins do his tough guy so many times, includng that Jet Li film where Li is like a trained attack dog, but also as Krushchev in Enemy at the Gates and as Panama dictator Manuel Noriega. I guess those last two did not depend on his Cockney accent, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Kate's note startled me. But then I looked back and she's quite right. PK has somehow not come up with the correct spelling - perhaps he dictates these posts and some unschooled lackey has disgraced him.

I appreciated George Harrison's contributions to films -- a money producer for interesting projects. Not sure if he always used Home Made Films as his imprimatur.

• 3 weeks later...