It's a Bloke Thing!.

algy

I uploaded this video clip to You Tube about five months ago and don't think I placed it on here, if no one else is interested I'm sure Asp will be.

Jahre Viking - Seawise Giant, later Happy Giant, Jahre Viking and Knock Nevis, was a ULCC supertanker and the longest ship ever built. She possessed the greatest deadweight tonnage ever recorded. Fully laden, her displacement was 657,019 tonnes (646,642 long tons; 724,239 short tons), the heaviest ship of any kind, and with a draft of 24.6 m (81 ft), she was incapable of navigating the English Channel, the Suez Canal or the Panama Canal. Overall, she was generally considered the largest ship ever built, as well as the largest self-propelled man made object ever built. She was last used as a floating storage and offloading unit (FSO) moored off the coast of Qatar in the Persian Gulf at the Al Shaheen Oil Field.

The vessel was sold to Indian ship breakers, and renamed Mont for her final journey in December 2009. After clearing Indian customs, she was sailed to, and intentionally beached at, Alang, Gujarat, India for demolition.
Her 36 tonne anchor was saved and sent to the Hong Kong Maritime Museum for exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRbaA4Low9I

Very interesting Algy, although I think it's wrong to say she was too big to navigate the English Channel. The point would be that once through the English Channel ther are no ports with the facilities to deal with a ship that size!!

The largest ship I ever sailed on was the SS Tantalus at a mere 220,000 tonnes deadweight (displacement would be around the 300,000 tonnes mark). She was a steamship and burned 250 tonnes of fuel a day, enough to keep Sarnia Liberty going for 6 weeks or so.

Tantalus:

tantalus_1672x1047_zpsc4c3a8a0.jpg

A stopping distance of over 5 miles... blimey and a good job there are no traffic lights. pedestrians or cyclsits on the sea :lol:

It always amazes me how ships like that don't just just sink considering their huge weight and size.  Saying that I always think the same about how planes stay up in the sky too.....  I sort of know how they both do but it still amazes (and scares) me.

I certainly wouldn't fancy being out at sea on a ship being battered by huge waves and storms though that's for sure and I wouldn't do your job even if you offered me a fortune to do it for a week Asp !

:lol:  :lol:

I've got some photo's somewhere taken some years ago from onboard HMS Ironduke when it was out on duty (I think it was Ironduke but might have been one of the other ones) where huge waves were crashing over the bow (errrm is the bow the front bit?) 

I remeber the day the postman brought them and my son who was very young at the time was all excited about his special delivery from his uncle.......I felt sea sick the minute I opened the envelope and saw them and I never did get around to putting them in frames and on his bedroon wall for him :oops:    

Hope he never reads this as he might remember.... but hey I always let him wear his navy baseball caps that he got though   :lol:

Pictures from naval ships always look more spectacular because they have fine lines (for speed) and tend to go through waves rather than over them. Merchant ships tend to be boxier and go over waves and only ship water over the bow in really heavy weather, usually it's just spray. The worst part of bad weather is the discomfort and the annoying way objects you thought were secure find a way of dropping onto the deck and rolling around.