Classic British films

kind hearts and coronets would be one of my choices if only for the acting of dennis price in the lead role of louis and alec guiness a the multiple victims.

second choice would have to be the ladykillers for the sheer brilliance of the idea of a gang of robbers being so inept at disposing of a frail old lady.

We had a film in 1984 by John Milius (active in ROME BBC series and Conan films) called Red Dawn with paratroopers landing outside an American schoolyard -- they are USSR and Cubans -- and we are at war. All the action takes place in that small town, though, with news of war coming infrequently.

The school athletes, Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, using their school mascot name THE WOLVERINES become saboteurs and guerrilas - living in the woods.

I'm now suspicious Milius saw your film first.

Yes, "Brief Encounter" was a Great (it was Celia Johnson, Mary) but any of the Ealing comedies also stand up well. I loved the first St Trinians film, with Alastair Sim as the headmistress and the wonderful George Cole as Flash Harry. I also rate "I'm All Right, Jack" as a classic Peter Sellers film. His portrayal of Fred Kite, the Union convenor, was superb.

Cathy Come Home was an excellent film (actually it was a TV film rather than a PROPER film). But I don't think it had the slightest effect on anyone's attitude to poverty and homelessness.

The only thing that makes peopel think about poverty and homelessness is to experience them.

• 1 month later...