More EU madness

asperity

At one time most of our consumer electrical equipment was being produced in Japan, with the cheap market stall goods coming from China, now it seems that nearly all the technical goods are being shipped in by container from China, I can't see anything prevent that country becoming the major world supplier of almost any product in any production sector they wish to enter, other than possibly the western food market, they have the raw materials, the technical ability and labour to enable them to do so, the only thing I can see standing in their way is internal political unrest, for a communist country there appears to be a massive level of social inequality that stems from their traditional feudal hertage, in my view, in the long term they could have a peasant uprising resulting in a huge civil war, though certainly not for many years, perhaps in ten or twenty years time, who knows, it depends how long the oppressed take to organise themselves into an underground movement.

Social dissatisfaction causes discontentment which creates division which results in destruction!.

Ten Chinese proverbs.

“It’s as difficult to be rich without bragging as it is to be poor without complaining.” 

or

“It’s as difficult to be poor without complaining  as it is to be rich without bragging.” 

“If you want one year of prosperity, grow grain. If you want ten years of prosperity, grow trees. If you want one hundred years of prosperity, grow people.”

“Don’t stand by the water and long for fish; go home and weave a net.”

“Falling hurts least, those who fly low.”

“If you get up one more time than you fall you will make it through.”

“The loftiest towers rise from the ground.”

“There are two perfectly good men, one dead, and the other unborn.”

“To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art.”

“The palest ink is better than the best memory.”

“Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Seems, like the Japanese, the Chinese are less capable of invention and innovation (since gunpowder and printing anyway!);  but remain good at copying and now (allegedley) economic espionage via hacking the net. Your probably right about their social direction of travel; inequality and corruption creates civil domestic pressures, and perhaps more worrying, such pressures are sometimes diverted into external aggression. 

Obs and Algy, I think that you either didn't read the aricle I linked to, or didn't understand it.

Sorry!  Asp, I suppose I thought my answer would have been a bit simplistic, however here it is:-

Yes!, I do think we should accept and say "Ta very much".

That better. :wink::D

If that were to happen Lt Kije then is the time to look at import tarriffs on those particular products. But to damage our own solar industry by artificially increasing the cost in this way is not sensible. Every case is different and should be looked at in isolation.

Damage are own Solar industry Asp, is it not being damaged by the fact we don't have one as product is being dumped on us, yes it good in the short term but it does stifle  competition, as it does not let competition develop. Any dumping should be closely looked at, As the companies or governments don't do it unless their is something in it for them. 

Why are the Chinese dumping product on us at a loss to themselves?

Another one who didn't bother reading the article Lt Kije?

Of course people don't sell at a loss unless there is something in it for themselves,but thats no reason for us to cut off our noses. However I wouldn't expect you to accept any implied criticism of your beloved EU. There's none so blind............................

Use your common sense Lt Kije. Dumping is bad if it affects the home market but in this case putting an artificial extra cost on to imports would damage the home market so it would be sensible to accept the Chinese largesse. Should circumstances change then of course the strategy would have to change, but you have to be flexible. Something the EU seems incapable of being with its one size fits all outlook on everything.

A simple yes or no wont do because you have to take every case on its merits. If you impose import tarriffs that are going to damage your own industry then that is madness. It may be that in this case tarriffs may be required to protect industry in one country in the EU, but at the same time will damage industry in another. This only goes to demonstrate how foolish it is to allow the EU to dictate trade terms to us in a one size fits all manner. A question for you Lt Kije. Do you think that we should sacrifice our industry to allow industry in another state in the EU to flourish? A simple yes or no will do. :lol:

Yes, I am not like you Asp I can make a decision, It should have never been aloud to develop in the first place. Hopefully we might start to make are own.

Allowing dumping allows the customer in the very short term to benefit, but in the long term it is bad. I think you choose a bad example again to try and beat the EU with Asp.

So I have answered yours how about a yes or no from you on my question.