One for the local Councillors... what happened to this?

Bazj

I'm very glad to see this thread has been picked up by the Council.

I agree Dizzy. My perception of the Museum/library is that the staff who are there are doing their day to day job as instructed and in a competent fashion. What appears to be lacking is any kind of strategic vision about how to preserve the past and enthuse the general public about it. It only takes a quick glance at the stories we've uncovered on these boards to see the kind of knowledge and interest  that doesn't seem to be harnessed by the library/museum. And you're totally right, they should be working hand in glove with local historical societies who do have the time and energy to carry out these kind of tasks.

For example, contrast the library's website (one static page totally buried in that new Livewire thing) with something like this: http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/ which features photos, old directories to view online, leet rolls, cemetary index, facts, timeline, dialect stuff etc etc The Museum's website is better but still very thin on actual local history, Algy's shown us far more photos then they have in their digital archive. 

They need to reach out and move the service on, improve it rather than just curate the documents they have. 

I'm very glad to see this thread has been picked up by the Council.

I agree Dizzy. My perception of the Museum/library is that the staff who are there are doing their day to day job as instructed and in a competent fashion. What appears to be lacking is any kind of strategic vision about how to preserve the past and enthuse the general public about it. It only takes a quick glance at the stories we've uncovered on these boards to see the kind of knowledge and interest  that doesn't seem to be harnessed by the library/museum. And you're totally right, they should be working hand in glove with local historical societies who do have the time and energy to carry out these kind of tasks.

For example, contrast the library's website (one static page totally buried in that new Livewire thing) with something like this: http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/ which features photos, old directories to view online, leet rolls, cemetary index, facts, timeline, dialect stuff etc etc The Museum's website is better but still very thin on actual local history, Algy's shown us far more photos then they have in their digital archive. 

They need to reach out and move the service on, improve it rather than just curate the documents they have. 

I totally agree with your statement, Tracey.

clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley-emot

Cllr Parish... I applaud your swift response on this one.... it is nice to see someone from the Council who shows a modicom of interest in finding out about something from Warringtons past.... to this end; I promise not to put my extra bin bags on your front lawn when we go to the cost cutting and ridiculous fortnightly bin collections :lol:

It would have made a good centre piece for that thing where the skittles are.

Cleo.... as you live in Egypt... what do you know about old relics and historical artifacts??

That was a joke by the way!! :lol:

The chimney top has been located safe and sound and in storage, I was informed by email this afternoon by a lady aquaintance who knows a man who knows a man and I have been reliably informed that sensible (not crude) suggestion by members of this forum would be considered by the powers that be as to where in town it could be sited, as I'm sure suggestions by other towns people would be considered.

Well done Baz for starting the ball rolling!. :wink:

clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley-emot

• Upvote 2

Thanks Algy. 

Odd to think that I've driven and walked past that building many times over the years every time I've been to the tip etc and had no idea anything of interest was in there.   

Did the lady (who knows the man who knows the man) mention if anything else of of interest is stored in the SH depot too ?

And last questions..... is the chimney top still in one piece ? 

Anyone know what's it made of and how big is it ? 

For people to possibly suggest somewhere to put it could depend on its diameter and height :wink:

I wasn't informed as to any other contents in store Dizz.

I'm led to believe it is intact.

I would think it is made of fire clay, moulded and baked.

At a guess I would say about 4 foot high X 10 to 11 foot wide flat to flat.

It's logical home would be on a plinth at the car park entrance to the Cockhedge centre, from near where it came from.

I'm just glad it is still intact and not been scrapped like the stuff from Stockton Heath was.... It needs to be in the town centre really because lets face it; there isn't much left of old Warrington and when they finally demolish Garnetts (which is Inevitable) there will be even less!!

Maybe some historical information about what used to be in the town would be good.... you see in some places they have boards showing how things used to look from a certain vantage point. A good one would be where the Fox Inn once stood etc...

anyway just glad it isn't scrapped as I said.... I spent many a time sat on that cap in my younger days!! 

I raised this years ago (before I was a councillor) before the new bus station was built and was told it was in store and would be resited - I can't see why it didn't go where the flower beds are at the Interchange. I had a contact number for someone who knew where it was (!) and last year tried to call but he's sadly died. Where it could now go is another matter. Historically dubious, but if it is still restorable and a home could be found, I'd paint it brighter colours - maybe it could replace that daft plinth with the cut-off birds' legs near Wickes. I understand this thread has already been picked up by officers so the hunt is on!

The last known resting place I have heard about was the Sandy Lane depot at Stockton Heath, if that assists with the search.

But it needs to be back in the town centre where it belongs - I am sure it would look very nice as a giant flower pot.

Nice to see a response elected member on here :wink: