A bit confusing........

Bazj

As someone who knows bugger all about football and rugby (apart from the fact that most professionals are over paid nancys....) can somone explain to me why the footbal club is now called "The Wire" and the rugby club is called "The Wolves" but most of the rugby fans still chant "Come on the Wire" and refer to the rugby club as "The Wires"???

blooming confusing if you ask me

As someone who knows bugger all about football and rugby (apart from the fact that most professionals are over paid nancys....) can somone explain to me why the footbal club is now called "The Wire" and the rugby club is called "The Wolves" but most of the rugby fans still chant "Come on the Wire" and refer to the rugby club as "The Wires"???

blooming confusing if you ask me

Wolves is a marketing angle, taken from the wolf on the coat of arms, so not jsu a random name like some of our opponents.

The rugby club activley looked to step away from The Wire at one point but it never really went away, as per crowd chants. Town took up the use of it simply as it was available and with the blessing of Wolves about 5 or so years ago. I am glad it was kept officially alive as it is a unique nickname to the best of my knowledge. I have never known any other clubs use it away from Warrington.

Are you now even more confused???

Warrington was a wire making town and the nick name is linked to the town as much as the sporting teams.

We decided to incorportae the name into the football club when we took over five years ago.

Many of our supporters also support the Wolves and like to keep the Wire name alive and kicking.

Just about every sports team in the world has a barmy army! :blink:

Thanks Gary and I see why you gave me a  :blink:

I really didn't know that (as I'm not into footy etc) and just thought it stemmed from local rugby as I've heard about the those lot quite a lot and also saw some clips including the one of hundreds of the Wolves 'Barmy' lot singing afterthe team  beat Widnes last year.  I wont be posting a link though :oops:  :lol:

Having just googled and seen all the other Barmy Army groups everywhere I suppose you could just say I'm clearly  'barmy' too :lol: