Historical Town/Area Quiz.

algy

1. Name this street.

1.jpg

2. Apart from being a Photograper's and Independant Labour Party Offices, what other purpose was the building used for.

2.jpg

3. What was the name of this pub.

3.jpg

4. What was the official name of the bridge over the Mersey.

4.jpg

5. Name the pub and the area.

5.jpg

6. Name the area and the row of terraced houses.

6.jpg

7. what church is this (easy), what is so unusual about the clock. (not so easy).

7.jpg

8. Where is this.

8.jpg

9. Name the locality, bridge and canal.

9.jpg

10.   Where was this photo taken.

10.jpg

Little correction to the above Algy.... I think you might find that Tracey is actually right with number 9 re the connection with her 5x great grandfather (give or take a few houses).  At least I remembered Tracey :wink:

There are some I think I know from the past so I wont 'guess' those but will join in with the others.

Number 7 (well ok you said the name of the church is easy but I'll probably get it wrong)  Parish Church ?

and . 'what is unusual about the clock'..... well did the poor chap on the inlay pics have to drag himelf up by a rope every day to wind it up :lol:  

I really do apologise to Tracey, about No9 yes I do remember, and you are correct, my problem was that I only read your answer to No.2 and completely missed

your answer to No.9. - Sorry Trace. :oops:

Dizz, not the Parish church and no nothing to do with that workman, although the Parish church is involved!.

Ok so as I suspected I have no idea which church it is (even though you said that was the easy bit :oops:).  There's just no hope for me is there Algy despite all your online 'training' :cry:    :lol:

I really do despair!, I spent dozens of, nay hundreds of hours uploading photos and adding discriptive texts them of Warrington and it's outlying districts, and none of you apart from Tracey and Peter seem to absorbed 'diddly squat'!

Right!, young lady heres a clue, as a little lad i attended the church school and the local nick name was "jamjars", heres a very early hazy photo of the same church, with a very early rugby ground behind it.

EarlyWilderspoolRugbyleagueground.jpg

Right!, young lady heres a clue, as a little lad i attended the church school and the local nick name was "jamjars", heres a very early hazy photo of the same church, with a very early rugby ground behind it.

Blimey I am in trouble aren't I :lol:

Right so an old rugby grount nearby.  Is it St James Church on Wilderspool (near Brian Bevan island)

Near enough Sid :wink: , the new clock that had been made for St. Elphins was found to be too heavy for the tower structure and the one in St. James's was lighter so they swapped them. I think St. James's got the better deal as the Parish Church clock always seems to be slow or stopped.

Just shows you Sid we can still teach these young un's a thing or two :lol:

How about nostalgic photos of Bootle, the Wirral , Crewe,Kent, Essex or London or perhaps Thelwall or Lymm post 1963 where I spent my formative years and misspent my youth? You old duffers had it good! Warrington was Shangri la compared to Bootle in the fifties only toys were the tar picked out from between the cobbles and what we could find on the bomb sites. The only chance of a swim was in the tin bath in front of the fire. Aŷ those were the days but we Woz appy. Probably

Juat one problem Dusty, this is the "History - Talk about memories of Warrington and the history of the town"' section, so Thelwall and Lymm are in, if tha' wants to talk about Bootle, Wirral, Scotty Road then tha' needs to join a Liverpool Forum Cocka', and by the way I was a 1940 baby dragged up in Latchford in a two up two down and a bin lavvy down the yard, and in summer I played with gas tar from between the sets in our backs and had a bath in a zinc tin bath.

I hope for your sake Harry doesn't see your post or your forrit' young lad. :wink::D :D

Latchford? Luxury. Lavvy? Posh and waste of a bath. Besides I'm not scared of Harry...I've read some of Baz's posts. Now he is scary and angry. Thank God we haven't got a Second Amendment.

Baz is a 'pussy cat', nicest bloke on here, his Uncle Brian was the one to look out for! and I should know , I worked with him. :wink::D :D

No. 10 - original Higher Walton Post Office near Bridgewater  canal at junction of Walton Lea Road and Old Chester Road

Pedro nice to see you back, so to speak, Yes Correct!, I had to crop the church out left of picture, just left a bit of the tower on as a clue.biggrin.gif