Sankey Green.... Then & Now

Bazj

This first picture was scanned from an edition of the Crosfield Chronicle in about 1967 and shows the new road layout onto the dual carriageway that is now Sankey Way

530647_10151359806114593_2140429772_n.jp

The second one is taken from google maps and shows it as it is today... You can see the Bank Quay club on both pictures as a reference. (the building on the right with the 4 very tall concrete windows)

9vh4le.jpg

Great pics Baz.  Do you have any more from around that area ?

What was the large taller building on the right (front right of pic behind the tractor) on your first one ?  .... and was the smaller road in front of it the exisitng main road or was part of the new road already there too in the other direction but was just widened?

I can't access google or the old maps for some reason tonight and am intrigued. 

Great pics Baz.  Do you have any more from around that area ?

What was the large taller building on the right (front right of pic behind the tractor) on your first one ?  .... and was the smaller road in front of it the exisitng main road or was part of the new road already there too in the other direction but was just widened?

I can't access google or the old maps for some reason tonight and am intrigued. 

Dizz, in all probability, Whitecross Bank, rather than Whitecross House as the frontage is Parallel with road.

1891.jpg

Do you remember the Ship Inn Algy that used to be on  Liverpool Road which would be just below where the bottom of your plan ends. Just past the Ship was a row of houses where i was born.

I certainly do remember the Ship Inn Wavy, I've had many a pint in there after finishing work at British Ropes at sankey bridges, we'd have a pint in the Sloop and  Black Horse then finish with one in the Ship, no problems with drinking and driving as we used to bike it.

Is Gary right Baz? Did you used to work there?

Hi Tracey.... Gary is indeed correct. Crosfield Chronicle was a publication produced for their staff through the 50's 60's and 70's..... it covered all sorts of subjects from what was happening to the old fire engine, plant expansions and the kids Christmas partys.... My dad was the Chauffeur in the 70's and 80's and before that was an HGV driver and my uncle was the transport manager.

This is a photo of the Christmas party from 1969. I'm the one on the 2nd row in the little hat!!

kcnki1.jpg

Just off the Green, on Lovely Lane ,didn't there  used to be The Pavilion picture house ? Seeing as you mentioned the Sloop Algy ,do you remember the wonderful old lift bridge that used to cross the canal there which was replaced in the 70's (?) with a soul less metal bridge ?

Just off the Green, on Lovely Lane ,didn't there  used to be The Pavilion picture house ? Seeing as you mentioned the Sloop Algy ,do you remember the wonderful old lift bridge that used to cross the canal there which was replaced in the 70's (?) with a soul less metal bridge ?

Yes, Dave, that's where the Pavillion Cinema was situated.

Hi Tracey.... Gary is indeed correct. Crosfield Chronicle was a publication produced for their staff through the 50's 60's and 70's..... it covered all sorts of subjects from what was happening to the old fire engine, plant expansions and the kids Christmas partys.... My dad was the Chauffeur in the 70's and 80's and before that was an HGV driver and my uncle was the transport manager.

This is a photo of the Christmas party from 1969. I'm the one on the 2nd row in the little hat!!

kcnki1.jpg

I see you were emulating your hero from an early age mate  :lol:  :lol:

blairnohand01_228x373_zps36d3adec.jpg