Gritting

kevofaz25

I noticed last night that the pavement along the road where a certain former leader of the council lives had been gritted for it's whole length. It's not a major road or a bus route, it doesn't serve either a primary or a secondary school, and it's certainly nowhere near a hospital - but it was the only gritted pavement that we saw on our walk into the centre of Lymm village.

Co-incidence?

How are your pavements Cleo :wink:  8)  :lol:  

Re they Lymm one Inky maybe residents just got together and did it themselves ? 

I've often wondered why, in residential areas,  more people don't just do their own bits of public pavements outside their own homes as if everyone did that a whole streets pavements would be covered... simples.

In all reality we really can't expect the council to have to go around gritting/salting ever single pavement in the whole of the borough can we? 

Maybe people should start to take some control themselves and get off their backsides rather than just whinging or relying on the council or others to do things all the time   :wink:  

Not covered with snow Dizzy but would you believe that most people here prefer to walk on the road rather than on the pavements. Mad, considering the crazy driving.

I believe the reason that people do not clear away the snow from the pavement outside their property is because if they did and somebody happened to slip and hurt themselves afterwards then the property owner/occupier would become liable to pay compensation.

Unless matters have changed ,as far as i know there is no obligation for councils to grit pavements or roads for that matter. For instance, if a person slips on ice or snow that has not been disturbed there is no liability ,but if say a shopkeeper scraped the snow from in front of his shop he is liable for any injuries to passers by. Councils do seem to rely   though on salt being spread far enough from the gritter to cover the pavements as well & to provide a sandblasting service for you car.

Whilst I clear mine and my neighbours, I was also under the impression some years ago that you could be sued if someone hurt themselves. However, I clear it anyway as my other half is not too good on her feet.

My reference to footpaths being salted (on the other thread?), is that the council website is saying one thing that in practise doesn't do what it says on the tin.