The Return of Atiya

Cleopatra

Very well done to Sajjad Karim, an MEP for North West England, who managed to do in just a few short weeks what the involved authorities failed to do in three years. That is to reunite a mother, Gemma Wilkinson, with her six year old daughter, Atiya, who was kidnapped by her father and taken to live in Pakistan on her third birthday.

• Upvote 1

Cleo,

as an ignoramus in such matters, is the likelihood of a Pakistani father doing this high or low? I feel for the mothers and children in such cases as 1, the mother finds it virtually impossible to do anything, and 2, the children have no say in the matter and it must have a psychological effect on them for the rest of their lives.

Maybe he didn't know about it 3 years ago, maybe he was leaving it upto the proper authorities, how the hell should I know? The thing is he became involved and got it sorted pretty quickly. The father is in prison for refusing to say where Atiya was and the sentence was extended 3 times for still refusing to say where she was.

Peter, the same thing as happened a few times but couldn't say if it is high or low not knowing how many mixed relarionships there are/were.

• Downvote 1

In this story, aren't the interests of this little girl being overlooked? Okay her father abducted her, aged 3, and took her to Pakistan where she has lived for 3 of her formative years, presumably with the father's family, assimilating local culture and language. Does she now feel that she has been abducted again and placed into an alien environment with strangers? I'm not venturing an opinion on the rights and wrongs of the case, just wondering whether the best interests of the child have been considered.

I rather suspect that they have not been overlooked. She appears to be happy to be back with her mother and is settling down nicely and most likely feeling that she has been rescued rather than abducted again. No matter anyone's opinions, she was stolen from her mother and now she is back where she belongs, with her mother, and not in some strange country with relatives she did not previously know - strangers. Even having stolen her from her mother, and be in doubt, that is what he did - probably out of sheer spite - the father was not living with her in pakistan. He left her there and came back to the UK, where he has remained in prison for refusing to say where she was.