Warrington Peeps in The past Pt.1.

algy

Superb and thouroughly enjoyed every minute of those Algy.

My other half just said his uncle was at Thames Board when the bombs dropped but he was one of the lucky ones and survived to tell the awful tale. His aunt was working in the co-op (he's sure it was the co-op anyway) when a bomb hit that too and pretty much destroyed it. Guess they both must have had guardian Angels.

The young lorry driver certainly had a lucky escape after plunging into the MS canal near the swing bridge :shock: I wonder if he was trying to save one of the box of fireworks that he surfaced with or whether fireworks are more bouyant that I imagine and they saved him.

In the first 'Peeps video, the section about building the new bridge over the railway at Wilderspool crossings refers to the demolition of the Grand Cinema and two pubs, the Norton Arms and the Ring O' Bells, I'm not aware of any pub around Bridge Foot or Wilderspool of the name Ring O' Bells and can't find any reference of a pub of that name in that area, anybody out there remember or heard of it?.

In the first 'Peeps video, the section about building the new bridge over the railway at Wilderspool crossings refers to the demolition of the Grand Cinema and two pubs, the Norton Arms and the Ring O' Bells, I'm not aware of any pub around Bridge Foot or Wilderspool of the name Ring O' Bells and can't find any reference of a pub of that name in that area, anybody out there remember or heard of it?.

The Ring O'Bells Inn was on the same side of the road as the Norton Arms Algy but was on the other side of the footbridge that crossed Arpley Bridge railway.

It was sited at the end of a short row next to Peter Newton's Cooperageand and there was a chip shop at the far end of the same row near the crossings.

It was a Greenall's pub and in early 1900's was in the hands of Thomas Boscow.

The licence then passed to James Heesom in the 1930's

ie Norton Arms,

Wilkinsons shop,

railway line/footbridge,

a few orther buildings that arent named,

Ring O Bells Inn,

Peter Newton Cooperage,

Meacock Boat Chandler,

2 more buildings,

Marshall Newsagents.

Was that too much info ? :unsure::oops::lol:

Hey! Dizz, it just goes to show that you (me) can never know it all and I can never have too much information. I honestly didn't know there was a pub there never mind the "Ring O' Bell". This old photo shows it but the sign appears to advertise Manure, if you use a bit of artistic licence you could imagine reading the name at the top of the sign. Thanks again Dizz, another name to add to the file.

1910Wilderspoolrailwaycrossing.jpg

Hey! Dizz, it just goes to show that you (me) can never know it all and I can never have too much information. I honestly didn't know there was a pub there never mind the "Ring O' Bell". This old photo shows it but the sign appears to advertise Manure, if you use a bit of artistic licence you could imagine reading the name at the top of the sign. Thanks again Dizz, another name to add to the file.

Mmmmm I'm pondering now Algy as after looking at your pic and comparing to mine I'm wondering if the Ring O'Bells Inn was actually the adjoining two story building to the right of where I actually marked on my 2 pics.... ie the one showing clearer on yours with the 4 windows and arched door.

My 1st pic has a different sign on the side of that building :blink:

As for the manure sign... well next to the Norton Arms was the Norton Arms Cattle Sale Yard so there would have been a lot of manure available close by. :wink: