Cooking on the curriculum

Lucy

I was at school between 1956 and 1967 and I'm sure the teachers in my Grammar School carried out a full risk assessment before sending a well aimed wooden board duster to the miscreant at the back of the class. All good fun and how we laughed. Nowadays the kids have to create their own violence and are all the poorer for it. :D:D:D

Originally posted by observer:

"taught by my mother/wife "

you might want to refraise that, in some parts of warrington that can be the same person :wink:

I'm an excelent cook and from the age of three I sit my children up of the counter and allow them to drop the peeled potatoes into the pan, or the egg into the flour, its a great way to get fussy eaters to try something diffrent in the thought that they made it.

I have posted here before about the pathetic cookery classes my 13yo gets in his school, just this december he told me he needed a swiss roll and some chocolate.

I refused to buy them on principle, he learns nothing from this, if they want me to buy the ingreadients to a swis roll I will hapily do so, but at 13 he is far beyond the need to learn how to melt chololate an pour it out...its pathetic, he was doing the same thing with rice crispies then cornflakes 7 years ago !

they should be on simple dinners by that age, corned beef mash, toad in the hole, cakes etc.

He cooks his own simple foods at home every now and again, omlettes etc, it realy infuriated me that the schools take such cop outs and call it cookery.

if this is what the government are promising more of then as usual its a all talk and targets and not solutions.

Originally posted by asperity:

I was at school between 1956 and 1967 and I'm sure the teachers in my Grammar School carried out a full risk assessment before sending a well aimed wooden board duster to the miscreant at the back of the class. All good fun and how we laughed. Nowadays the kids have to create their own violence and are all the poorer for it. :D:D:D

Trick was to get the desk lid...if available, up in time to deflect it...reflex training. :D