Back to work?

observer

I presume the target was around 5% of current unemployed, I just thought 5% is a rather unambitious target that's all. btw. How does it work nowadays? If an employer want's staff, do they contact the job centre an advertise? In which case, anyone without a job (and willing to work) should at least be able to fill the jobs that are available - or is that too simple? :unsure:

I don't know what figures you're referring to Obs, but in a time of recession isn't any back to work figure welcome? <_<

Suppose it depends how much it costs, really:

None of welfare-to-work scheme's 18 contractors reached target of getting 5.5% of clients a job for at least six months

A4e's got a contract of around £438m, and they've got about 490 people in to long term jobs (ie >6 months): I'd like to think there's better ways of spending that kind of money.

Oh, and if 5.5% is ambitious enough, it begs the question if it's a contract worth negotiating.

• Upvote 2

Correct me if i'm wrong , but isn't it the job of the Department of Employment to get these people into work so why should lucrative work be given away to third parties to find jobs for the unemployed.No doubt most of these jobs will turn out to be fixed term agency work.

So, based on Fugh's figures, we're paying nearly a £million per job found? :unsure: As I asked; what's wrong with employers advertising vacancies in the job centre, where unemployed folk can see them and apply? IF, the reality is, that there arn't any jobs; then why doesn't the Gov spend the money on economic stimuli, like major (much needed) infrastructure projects, that will generate employment? :unsure:

So, based on Fugh's figures, we're paying nearly a £million per job found? :unsure: As I asked; what's wrong with employers advertising vacancies in the job centre, where unemployed folk can see them and apply? IF, the reality is, that there arn't any jobs; then why doesn't the Gov spend the money on economic stimuli, like major (much needed) infrastructure projects, that will generate employment? :unsure:

we advertised in the job centre once.... and got applications from as far away as Essex for manual jobs in and around Warrington.

Apparently the job centres have to advertise your job all over the country (evvn if you don't want them to) and the crafty southerners (or vice-cersa) apply for these jobs even though they know they will never get even an interview let alone the job itself! This helps them tell the DHSS that they have ticked all the boxes for applying and looking for work!

Fugs.... you also get the likes of Kije who claim that "our" people don't want to work and so letting in millions of Eastern European migrants to fill those jobs is a good idea

Maybe we should try the "kick out the economic migrants back to their own economies and let's get our own people into those jobs" approach

A lot of the problems caused with East Europeans is the unscroupulous employers who will employ skilled foreign tradesmen on minimum wage which then forces our own tradesmen out of work.... it is a terrible situation and one that doesn't seem to be addressable without someone or other calling people racist for being concerned about it...

Maybe at the moment, we are all very happy on here, we all seem to have reasonable jobs etc. but what about our kids? with an ever expanding migrant population (Net migration was up another 186,000 in the last quarter)... the migrants not only undercut the jobs market, but eventually, their kids will be competing with ours for work.... the situation will become intolerable and trouble will ensue..... it is only a matter of time