Mossley Game

The Neesk

Decent performance yesterday denied three points by the woodwork.I don,t think Beesley is the answer to our striker problems and my own personal view is i hope he returns Nantwich, great lad but not for us.I hope Shaun can get another striker in place for the tough festive program starting with the New Mills match

Parle looked a great addition who got stuck in and i look forward to seeing more of him.

It appears many of us have been watching a different Mark Beesley to you good sir...

I think if the club can extend his loan, they should try their best to do so! And I'm sure the player would rather stay here and get a game rather than being a sub for Nantwich

Beesley has been brilliant. Isn't the best, but he's done a better job than most of our strikers this season.

Robertson seems like an alright shot stopper, but he seems far too keen to come running out and sometimes even try and play his way out of danger with the ball at his feet rather than just hoof it.

Overall, great draw for us yesterday, and we really could have won it too.

Mossley still seemed to be recovering from their loss at Curzon midweek, but statistically they have one of the best defences in the league and it showed.

I like Robertson. He has character and not frightened of making decisions. He nearly scored on Saturday with that kick up field. All goalies have idiotic moments at times, that's why they are in goal. (And I am NOT having ago at you)

Never thought you were having a go, that's your opinion and I don't have a problem with that.

His character and eccentric playing style can sometimes be a good thing, but he always has one or two 'idiotic moments' every game, which maybe isn't a good thing. Overall, he does seem alright though, but these 'idiotic moments' are worrying and probably do need to stop.

He does have fairly decent distribution (When he's not taking players on in his own 6-yard box), and one of the most powerful kicks I've seen in this league, which is sort of why he almost scored that fluke yesterday.

But then again he could easily have done something more productive with it than a massive hoof, he could have started an attack with a throw to a midfield player or something for example. Just booting it as hard as you can isn't really that productive.

... he always has one or two 'idiotic moments' every game...

That would seem to indicate that while he might not be afraid of making decisions, he isn't consistently good at it.

Decision making is the most important skill for a goalkeeper, and better to make a decision than be indecisive... making the right decision is about reading the game.

These days you also need good footwork, so being able to take on strikers is a good skill (even if it is not good for the blood pressure of the fans) but knowing when it is better to "hoof" it is critical.

That would seem to indicate that while he might not be afraid of making decisions, he isn't consistently good at it.

Decision making is the most important skill for a goalkeeper, and better to make a decision than be indecisive... making the right decision is about reading the game.

These days you also need good footwork, so being able to take on strikers is a good skill (even if it is not good for the blood pressure of the fans) but knowing when it is better to "hoof" it is critical.

You are spot on, you've worded it a lot better than I did.

He does have alright ability (apart from fumbling a few crosses) but his main problem is the decision making.

I agree with Peter, I like Andy Robertson, I feel he is the vocal presence we need, we seem a very quiet side, and I for one, like a goalie who is unafraid to be vocal and organise those in front of him

Beesley, lets keep him as long as we can, how long has he been with us, and he is already amongst the goals, with a smart double against Farsley amongst them

Hated missing a game, but have still not missed a goal in a Town game this season, lol

See y'all at Mossley tomorrow night

Woody

...he is the vocal presence we need, we seem a very quiet side, and I for one, like a goalie who is unafraid to be vocal and organise those in front of him...

I will first of all state that I have not seen many first team games and so none of the following is intended to relate to any particular person, they are general observations and comments...

I agree with Woody, assuming that a GK has the basic skills, then decision making will make them a good goalkeeper but what can set them apart is the difference they make to the team.... and being vocal (providing it is helpful,consistent and encouraging) is a key part of that. Just shouting when things go wrong is no good, helping defenders (and others) know what option to take and praising people when they do the right thing is important.

At this level all goalkeepers should be able to catch the ball and make saves, although agility is not always universal :)

Some goalkeepers will be able to prevent dangerous situations from happening, or make saves without ever touching the ball by being able to read the play and be in the right place at the right time... part of decision making!

And some goalkeepers will be able to lift the team and encourage them to better things.

Hope this doesn't end up as another of our big results that have failed to get our form going. We just need to start playing consistently now.

Brilliant result last night, great to hear Townson had a great game after his average form so far this season.

Recent form over last 12 games Won 5 Drawn 5 Lost 2

Goals for 27 (aveg 2.25) against 17 (aveg 1.41) Clean sheets 4

Considering the two defeats were in the space of one week which hopefully was just one of those things when we leaked nine goals - I think the team has been pretty consistent and moving forward in a positive manner.

Recent form over last 12 games Won 5 Drawn 5 Lost 2

Goals for 27 (aveg 2.25) against 17 (aveg 1.41) Clean sheets 4

Considering the two defeats were in the space of one week which hopefully was just one of those things when we leaked nine goals - I think the team has been pretty consistent and moving forward in a positive manner.

Depends how you see that blip though. If it wasn't as bad as it was, I would agree with you, but it was 2 absolutely shambolic performances, not just 2 bad results. In my opinion, consistency doesn't mean play well but slack off for the odd couple of games here and there.

Saying that though, I definitely see what you mean.

What do we call recent form anyway? I personally think it is last 5 games, not last 12.

Depends how you see that blip though. If it wasn't as bad as it was, I would agree with you, but it was 2 absolutely shambolic performances, not just 2 bad results. In my opinion, consistency doesn't mean play well but slack off for the odd couple of games here and there.

Saying that though, I definitely see what you mean.

What do we call recent form anyway? I personally think it is last 5 games, not last 12.

Well I will revist this topic in a weeks time then.