Warrington Town 0 Runcorn Town 5

Long John

Just got back from watching the current Warrington Town team embarrassed by a Runcorn side which was essentially made up of ex-warrington players who were deemed to be too old or not good enough to wear the yellow shirt.

Runcorn played Warrington off the park, with swift accurate passing football and speedy strikers. Warrington were just hopeless at everything apart from taking the ball out of the back of the net.

If this current side are to get anywhere near the playoffs this season, there is going to have to be a major change in attitude. I think they are believing their own hype.

I for once agree with my dad :wink:

Runcorn were fantastic tonight and were better in every way, they looked like they wanted to actually be there tonight.

I have been watching town for many many years and I have never felt so let down.

It felt like the players didnt care and are here just to pick up a pay packet rather than the shirt.

If the club were not taking this cup seriously then why charge £8? Clubs in the football league drop their prices for things like the capital one cup as they are concentrating on the league why does this not happen at town?

Again if this is a mickey mouse cup why put out a first team? i would have been more understanding if it was a team full of young lads who were getting some first team football however the team tonight it was full of experianced first team players.

I hope the players give their wages to a charity as a away of an apology. it was completly awful and gutless.

I hope Reid can turn it around as i dont see how we are any better this year compared to the past few.

Tonight's performance was simply not good enough - and on behalf of the club I can only apologise.

Runcorn were by far the better team and wanted it more.

The manager knows tonight's performance was simply not good enough.

Tonight was a big learning curve and hopefully we will see a positive reaction on Saturday.

Very dissapointing game.

Like long John says we were played off the park by a far better team that had the passion to win and were proud of the shirt they wore.

Our current performances will get us no where near the play offs this season.

Ian

Having reflected a little more on the game I am now of the opinion that it has wider significance than just being knocked out of a cup competition.

At the beginning of the season we were told that one of the main aims for the club off the field this season was to get more people through the turnstiles and boost matchday attendance.

After last nights inept and gutless performance we have to remember that Runcorn Towns ground is within a few miles of Warrington, and any floating football fans will look at last nights result, and the manner of the defeat, and will think I want to watch a winning team who play attractive football and travel to watch Runcorn town instead Warrington.

If performances on the field do not drastically improve, not only will Warrington lose their new fans, but the die hard fans will start to think twice about attending. I notice that some of the Barmy Army have been conspicuous by their absence over the last few weeks.

From last nights experience I would say Runcorn already have a good following of supporters, even at an away match. I personally need to see a much improved performance from Town if I`m to continue following them to the away matches. Not so bad at home, season tickets already paid for but there is a cost associated with away matches that I`m not sure is currently worth the entertainment value.

Ian

When I was told the result (wasnt there - £8 for a county cup match!) I thought the manager had put a gang of kids out. However looking at the team, I am astonished how they can be this bad, although again in key positions changes were made.

I think by now the manager shoudl know his best team. Yes it will need tweaks for injuries / suspensions but the lack of a settled team apepars to be affecting the consistency of the team. Reid out wide doesnt work and when he comes inside he is a much better player. Who is the preferred strike force? Is Collins a winger or forward. Is Dogan capable of findign a yellow shirt with a pass on more than 50% of the time?

Realsitically this cup was a distraction. However also with more games played than others, we are puching above our weight in the league as well. We need 9 points from these 3 home games. If we beat Mossley it will send a suitable message out

Oh Yeh fickle fans!

Can't believe you are already talking about watching another team down the road after one disappointing result - following a run of SEVEN games without defeat.

This is the same team that beat Curzon 3-2 - the only team to beat New Mills in the league this season 6-1 away from home and battled hard with nine men to go down just 1-0 at top of the league Mossley as well as battering Harrogate 4-0 last Saturday and Goole 7-2 the other week.

While there is no excuse for a terrible performance last night every football team in the land has had an off night.

What happens over the next three games and how they respond is what you should be talking about - not watching another team. :oops:

Warrington Town are 8th in the league and a couple of wins off the play offs.

The team still has every chance with a bit of fine tuning - so just put last night down to a blip and lets hope for normal service to be resumed on Saturday as they go for their FOURTH consecutive home win in the league!

• Upvote 1

I think my post suggested the fine tuning required i.e. settled team. I also pointed out the need for 9 points from the next 3 games.

I would however point out that the league table is somewhat out of kilter due to the games played. Realistically, we are a few places lower than we currenlty are even presuming a far from 100% record for those with games in hand.

Robocop, were you at last nights match?

I`m not a fickle fan and not likely to start following a different team any time soon. But if you did watch last nights performance and believe it to be a team that can reach the playoffs then I feel you are a tad deluded.

Yes, we`ve had a couple of good wins and yes we had a string of unbeaten games but it`s wins that we require not draws if we want to reach the play offs. Talking of which, 8th and a couple of wins off the playoffs yes, but a number of teams both above us and below us with 2/3 games in hand on us. We need to win the next 3 games just to stay in contention, not to reach the playoffs.

We are half way through the season and there is no stability or harmony with the team, player changes and players playing out of position, I can only see this continuing over the next few weeks with the introduction of the 2 new signings from Stockport County, can`t see them being used to warm the bench.

Teams need time to gel and understand one another, this team has had neither and we`re half way into the season.

I hope for positive results over the next few games but our ability to reach the play offs at the moment is in the hands of others and not our own.

Ian

Slightly bugging me that everyone is hiding behind the "Lets see how the next 3 games go" excuse after every bad result.

Problem is clearly our consistency. We can get a great result one week, then get hammered the week after, taking us back to 'seeing how the next 3 games progress'.

Runcorn were fantastic tonight and were better in every way, they looked like they wanted to actually be there tonight.

I have been watching town for many many years and I have never felt so let down.

It felt like the players didnt care and are here just to pick up a pay packet rather than the shirt.

If the club were not taking this cup seriously then why charge £8? Clubs in the football league drop their prices for things like the capital one cup as they are concentrating on the league why does this not happen at town?

Again if this is a mickey mouse cup why put out a first team? i would have been more understanding if it was a team full of young lads who were getting some first team football however the team tonight it was full of experianced first team players.

I hope the players give their wages to a charity as a away of an apology. it was completly awful and gutless.

I hope Reid can turn it around as i dont see how we are any better this year compared to the past few.

Absolutely spot on. The players and management obviously didn't seem interested, so A) Why play the first team and B ) why charge almost a tenner for it?

Having reflected a little more on the game I am now of the opinion that it has wider significance than just being knocked out of a cup competition.

At the beginning of the season we were told that one of the main aims for the club off the field this season was to get more people through the turnstiles and boost matchday attendance.

After last nights inept and gutless performance we have to remember that Runcorn Towns ground is within a few miles of Warrington, and any floating football fans will look at last nights result, and the manner of the defeat, and will think I want to watch a winning team who play attractive football and travel to watch Runcorn town instead Warrington.

If performances on the field do not drastically improve, not only will Warrington lose their new fans, but the die hard fans will start to think twice about attending. I notice that some of the Barmy Army have been conspicuous by their absence over the last few weeks.

I don't think we will lose any of the die hard fans to be honest.

But a large section of the people who also watch regularly will watch for entertainment, and with both Runcorn teams, the new Widnes team, Crewe, Tranmere and whoever all being so easy to reach from Warrington, we could lose a few of them.

Not a big worry, but it is potentially there.

Reid out wide doesnt work and when he comes inside he is a much better player. Who is the preferred strike force? Is Collins a winger or forward.

Miles and Townson really don't work together, I am not expecting many goals from them together. Lee and Collins (undecided on Beesley, but could easily just move Collins to the wing if necessary) is quite easily our best partnership.

Robocop, were you at last nights match?

I`m not a fickle fan and not likely to start following a different team any time soon. But if you did watch last nights performance and believe it to be a team that can reach the playoffs then I feel you are a tad deluded.

Yes, we`ve had a couple of good wins and yes we had a string of unbeaten games but it`s wins that we require not draws if we want to reach the play offs. Talking of which, 8th and a couple of wins off the playoffs yes, but a number of teams both above us and below us with 2/3 games in hand on us. We need to win the next 3 games just to stay in contention, not to reach the playoffs.

We are half way through the season and there is no stability or harmony with the team, player changes and players playing out of position, I can only see this continuing over the next few weeks with the introduction of the 2 new signings from Stockport County, can`t see them being used to warm the bench.

Teams need time to gel and understand one another, this team has had neither and we`re half way into the season.

I hope for positive results over the next few games but our ability to reach the play offs at the moment is in the hands of others and not our own.

Ian

Spot on.

Last night was clearly a game between 11 players versus a team. It shows that it is not the players that you have in the squad, but the way you get them to perform on the pitch. The Runcorn team was mainly ex-Warrington players who were not good enough to play for the Town anymore, yet they ran us off the pitch. They didn't keep kicking the ball in desperation but found each other with accurate passes; they didn't try to put the ball OVER the defence but slotted the ball through our defence, beating the offside trap every time. To be honest, we were lucky to get away with just 5 goals against us.

Oh Yeh fickle fans!

Can't believe you are already talking about watching another team down the road after one disappointing result - following a run of SEVEN games without defeat.

This is the same team that beat Curzon 3-2 - the only team to beat New Mills in the league this season 6-1 away from home and battled hard with nine men to go down just 1-0 at top of the league Mossley as well as battering Harrogate 4-0 last Saturday and Goole 7-2 the other week.

While there is no excuse for a terrible performance last night every football team in the land has had an off night.

What happens over the next three games and how they respond is what you should be talking about - not watching another team. :oops:

Warrington Town are 8th in the league and a couple of wins off the play offs.

The team still has every chance with a bit of fine tuning - so just put last night down to a blip and lets hope for normal service to be resumed on Saturday as they go for their FOURTH consecutive home win in the league!

I am not a fickle fan, I will be watching town on saturday and hoping for a win.

I have been saying that we are not as good as last year all season, yes we have had some big wins but we did last year as well.

Yes unbeaten in 7 but as i was saying last night look at who we have beaten in those 7 Harrogate, Goole & Prescott who are all currently placed in the bottom seven, if you want to be in the playoffs you should be beating these teams at home. i expect us to beat Garforth on saturday and will be there no matter what.

If you look at the league table it is looking like we will be in mid table but could be a long way behind once people catch up on the games.

I feel for Reid, he is still learning the non league game and you could see his anger and disappointment at what was served up last night by his players.

The real test wont be on saturday as Garforth (who by all accounts are the worse side in the evo stik league for some time), but Farsley the week after as they are at about the same level as Town at the moment,

Come on Yellows!!!

I chose not to go and pay on top of my season ticket, in my opinion, the Cheshire cup is a Mickey Mouse competition which you only become bothered about when there's a chance of winning it. Looking at the team, I have no doubt that the manager was taking it seriously, and was pleasantly surprised to see such a strong team - credit to him in that respect. Clearly, from the accounts I've heard from my brother who was there, the players were not taking it seriously - not the way to treat supporters who have come out on a cold night for a game not on their season ticket.

Hopefully the team talk on Saturday will consist of the manager reading some of this thread to the players, we are owed a performance and a big win, and looking at the opposition for this weekend, this is the minimum I expect

Yes WTFC didn't turn up and didn't show any passion or pride.

However, it shouldn't be overlooked that Runcorn (top of their division) have a side that have been playing together for a couple of years. It does make a difference.

Which players got kicked out as not good enough and by who?

The one BIG positive from last night's game is that it has actually got some supporters out of the woodwork and talking about the club!

Quite clearly the game meant more to Runcorn (full of Warrington lads) than Warrington (full of mercenary scousers!)

May be the Stockport Warringtonians will be proud to wear the shirts alongide young Gratton and Anderson!

I'd start playing the youth team now and bank the budget for next season as the scousers are just in town to rob the bank! :oops:

Hi Insider, Come to play with the woodworm then, didn`t think it would be long before you came along after that drumming :wink:. In all honesty there hasn`t been a lot to chat about this season on the forum, all pretty mediocre really, a couple of good wins but other than that nothing to shout about. Last nights performance however needed to be voiced.

I think you may have a valid point on the mercenary view, they don`t come across as passionate for the shirt and theres an awful lot of bickering between team members rather than encouragement.

Have you been to many of the games this season?

Ian

The one BIG positive from last night's game is that it has actually got some supporters out of the woodwork and talking about the club!

Quite clearly the game meant more to Runcorn (full of Warrington lads) than Warrington (full of mercenary scousers!)

May be the Stockport Warringtonians will be proud to wear the shirts alongide young Gratton and Anderson!

I'd start playing the youth team now and bank the budget for next season as the scousers are just in town to rob the bank! :oops:

I've had to register simply because there is far to many negative people on here.

Insider do you ever engage your brain before operating your typing finger? I say that because the manager of the club previously must have let the players go? and from what i heard last night (i think his name was pieman?) all these "Warrington players" played years ago?

It also shows that you can't know much about the game if you think Gratton is a good player and also when is the last time at this level of football did "proud" win leagues. I might be wrong but looking in the match programme WTFC have won nothing for 12 seasons, is this because its better to look good and be proud blah,blah.

I've only started watching this season as i join the many renegades opposing Premier League exstorsion and so far considering its a team built from scratch i think its going ok.

Rome was not built in a day.

Tonight's performance was simply not good enough - and on behalf of the club I can only apologise.

Runcorn were by far the better team and wanted it more.

The manager knows tonight's performance was simply not good enough.

Tonight was a big learning curve and hopefully we will see a positive reaction on Saturday.

If it was a big learning curve what did you learn.?

Insider do you ever engage your brain before operating your typing finger? I say that because the manager of the club previously must have let the players go? and from what i heard last night (i think his name was pieman?) all these "Warrington players" played years ago?

At least I've got one to engage!

You've started watching non league football and suddenly you thinbk you know it all - I've been watching non league soccer for best part of four decades up and down the country.

Not even sure why are you quoting me and mentioning players being let go? :unsure:

Ian

Half way through the season - played 15 (only lost 3) and there are 42 games in the season - I make that another six games before it is half way :oops:

Half way through the season - played 15 (only lost 3) and there are 42 games in the season - I make that another six games before it is half way :oops:

Thanks for clearing that up Insider, I didn't have time before I went to a Supporter's meeting.

That's one of the problems with emotions, they tend to fire up whenever results don't stay positive, rather than taking an overview.

Still quite a few games before xmas. Then we should have a pretty good idea how the season is progressing.

Okay, maths a little poor last night :oops: Lost 3 won 5 and drawn 7, we need more wins if we are to aspire to the play offs this season. Lets see where we`re at by christmas then and my glass may be a little more full than empty :wink:

Ian

Stop nit-picking on the people who actually watch the matches and actually comment on our games for once. It is near the middle of the season, no-one is actually bothered about how many games away the middle of the season actually is.