comet in administration

Gary

It's more to do with internet shopping. Why go to a shop when you can buy the same product cheaper online. Comet and Curry/PC World have become showrooms for the internet shopper, no money in that for the stores.

So Comet have put themselves out of business by having an online presence?

The other day they said they would still honour them for a few more days before they officially went over into administration. I did wonder how they could do that and seem they have been 'temporarily suspended' now on the chance that they find a buyer for the business.

Similar happened when 'Game' store which suddenly went into administration without warning and they just zapped the gift vouchers and points earned immediately and that was that.. end of.

We had one of their points cards which must have accumulated about £20 on it and they just blocked redemption the minute it was announced they were going into admin and other kids we knew had birthday/xmas gift cards which were then worthless too. :(

unfortunately in these circumstances, the job of the administrator is to maximise the amount of money they can get.... gift cards; although already paid for are not deemed as having any worth as opposed to hard cash. In effect, the money you had on your points card Dizzy would have reduced the money they could raise by £20.00 because the cash you had on your card could be spent on something that someone else would spend another £20 on

Those with gift cards will never be able to use them if past events follow true. They will have to join the list of creditors owed mony to by the Comet brand.... unfortunately they will be at the bottom of the list with the banks and the VATman at the top and many other suppliers in between

If goods are faulty shops can't insist you have refunds in vouvhers/gift cards rather than cash/card refunds if you have a valid receipt (sales of goods act and all that).

Although Commet did try that once with me with a whole host of bizarre reasons why until I put them straight and refused to leave the store until they could prove me wrong :oops:

Went there to buy a TV a few years ago and none of the sales staff could explain the TV specification to me, so I walked and bought from John Lewis's who's staff were excellent and gave and still do, a free five year guarantee, price was also comparable with Comet.