Anti-Tank Missiles nicked from a train in Bewsey....

Bazj

Amused me when the police release a statement saying:-

"The North West Counter Terrorism Unit (NWCTU) say it does not believe at this stage the theft was terror-related. The Ministry of Defence-owned munitions do not pose a risk to the public unless they are tampered with, added the NWCTU.

Well thats all right then!

Lets hope someone doesn't live next door to the idiot that's got them in a vice in their garden shed and starts dismantling them with a hammer and chisel!. :blink:

Hum.... The Daily Mail is telling a different story. According to the DM, a shipment of anti-tank mines was taken from a train when it was held up for about an hour near Birmingham, while being tranferred from Cumbria to Marchwood Military Port near Southampton. Same story or a different one? Hum.... :unsure:

No detonators, so these anti-tank mines are little more than tubes filled with explosive.

You can't set off modern explosives without a detonator, not with a hammer, and not with fire. In fact, I've even used small chunks of plastic explosives as fuel on a little solid fuel camping stove. It just burns slowly when set alight.

No detonators, so these anti-tank mines are little more than tubes filled with explosive.

'little more than' Inky :shock: That sounds scarey enough to me although for obvious reasons I didn't google what sort of detonator they would need as I don't fancy having my house surrounded :unsure::lol:

The MOD have said they are safe UNLESS someone meddles with them. How much meddling would it take before they became unsafe :shock:

I hope someone (especially kids) didin't take the missing ones from where they were dumped thinking they are some sort of professional display fireworks with it nearly being bonfire night.

The MOD are trying to make people think that they're dangerous - to persuade people to tell anything they know - but not so dangerous as to risk causing any kind of panic.

The fact is that plastic explosives are EXTREMELY stable, you can set fire to it, shoot bullets into it, zap it with electricity, hit it with hammers, but without a specially designed detonator to set it off you won't get it to go bang.

You can't set off modern explosives without a detonator, not with a hammer, and not with fire. In fact, I've even used small chunks of plastic explosives as fuel on a little solid fuel camping stove. It just burns slowly when set alight.

I'm sure the police would be very interested in that little escapade inky. :shock:

front page news update.... they have found them in Brikenhead and counter terror police have arrested two men (a 29-year-old in Birkenhead and a 31-year-old in Sheffield).

A number of addresses in Birkenhead and Sheffield are also being searched as part of ongoing enquiries led by the North-West Counter Terrorism Unit :unsure:

Warrington Woldwide News - Two arrested over munitions theft